Domestic Rod Travelling

rjc123

Hey raiders,

i want to take 3 rods with me on holidays to QLD this summer. The length is no issue but i need to fit 6 pieces being about 1 meter long each into a PVC pipe. I will definitely not be able to fit 6 in as i had trouble with 4 pieces last time. It is definitely necessary to take the 3 rods as they are for different purposes like live baiting and light line plastics fishing. Can anyone suggest an option for me? Will they get damaged if i tape then together and wrap them up in something?

Tom

Hey raiders,

i want to take 3 rods with me on holidays to QLD this summer. The length is no issue but i need to fit 6 pieces being about 1 meter long each into a PVC pipe. I will definitely not be able to fit 6 in as i had trouble with 4 pieces last time. It is definitely necessary to take the 3 rods as they are for different purposes like live baiting and light line plastics fishing. Can anyone suggest an option for me? Will they get damaged if i tape then together and wrap them up in something?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've taken rods to tassie a few times as my brother lives down there. Last flight with virgin i had two in four pieces and just tapped them together and put a little tape around the end guides, Virgin were happy to take them that way and they made it to Tassie with no damage. Now they were cheapies so not sure if its worth your risk or not but i suspect when they see them like that they take resonable care with how they pack them.

Interestingly a few trips before with Deathstar i had my grandfathers old fly rod in a PVC carry case. At the other end i collected it to find that the PVC case had been completely buckled and the rod inside snapped in one location, must have taken a hell of a lot of force. Sure enough Jetstar refused to take any responsibility :thumbdown: Surprisningly i have avoided flying with them ever since :ranting2:

Rich

I can get 6 one piece rods in my PVC holder so I'd suggest you get some bigger diameter PVC. For the price it's good insurance before trusting your rods to baggage handlers. My rod tube has plenty of wear marks from transit but so far no damage to any rods so it's served it's purpose well.

If they are good carbon fibre rods get a tube that will fit them and use it. Personally my rods travel inside their soft bags put in a tube and the tube is decorated with fragile stickers for added insurance + has a bit of foam padding in the ends to buffer out any end float. Some baggage handlers seem a little discontent atm so well worth the effort imo.

Cheers Blood Knot

Thamks for the tips guys :thumbup: . I would make my own and use a wider diameter PVC but i'm not particularly good with making those sort of things. Are they easy to make? How long (hours) would it take to make one?

Thamks for the tips guys :thumbup: . I would make my own and use a wider diameter PVC but i'm not particularly good with making those sort of things. Are they easy to make? How long (hours) would it take to make one?

I literally made mine while I was buying all the materials in store. I just took my rods with me found the PVC that would suite (with the help of the store owner) got 2 end caps, one side with a screw top so I can access my rods. Asked the store person to cut everything to size for me and glue it together using PVC glue. Had it done in literally 20minutes. All together costed me $32, but its well worth the effort and added insurance to know that your rods will stay safe and sound while your travelling. The last thing you want when your on holiday is to get to your destination and find that the prized rods you brought with you to use on your holiday have been damaged/destroyed by clumsy baggage handlers. And its true, usually flight companies dont wanna take responsibility for things like this.

If your close to the Liverpool region I can take you to the place I got it made. He's a cool fella and doesnt mind spending a bit of time to get you what you needed, also putting it together for me wasnt a hassle for him. He actually tried to make sure that nothing would break when I got to my destination.

So far Ive used my homemade rod tube about 9-10 times and Ive never had a problem.

Cheers,

jez

you can get 4 inch high pressure PVC pipes,(not the thin type for drains) they have really thick walls,

you should be able to cut it to size, plug up one end, and a screw cap on the other,

theses pipes can be sourced from good plumbing supply stores.

and just check them as over size baggage.