South West Rocks Boat Ramps

wombat

Hey chaps. Getting adventurous and envious of the rather big fins that are being caught up at SWR. So tiring of just reading about it, am thinking of dragging the 6m cuddy up the coast for a bash. Anyone familiar with the area and can recommend a good launch ramp? Also are there any bars and washing machine areas to avoid? Thanks as usual in advance.

Kamakazi Wombat :ph34r:

The river mouth bar is, as stated by others, a nasty place to be in other than larger craft, and then you need to know what you are doing. The Back Creek access is much better, but you still need to be careful, particularly when the tide is out. Try to come back when the tide is up because it is not difficult to hit bottom at the mouth of the creek.

Others on this site may tell you about having to spend the night out on the bay being tossed around because the bar was too dangerous to cross!

I have been going to SWR for many years and love the fishing but I must admit the Bar scares the absolute beejesus out of me every time I cross it.

If you are going out for the first time you would be better to get a local to follow out and see how they handle it because you only get one chance and you could end up like the Pro trawler wreck that is off to the side who came a gutsa one night. If the pros get into trouble then it would be easy for the unexperienced.

At times the bar looks nothing and is easly crossed at a blink of an eye it is turned into a washing machine on steroids.

Good luck.

Ps dont let me put you off because once you have got through it (the Bar) the fishing and the bay are tops.

Back creek is way too tide dependant, so you would have to cut your days short if there was a low tide in the afternoon. Id say thats why most people come out of the river.

I've even heard that back creek loses all access sometimes when the sand builds up, so that would be an annoyance if you wanted to get out.

Chris

we headed up there early this year and despite all advice saying to use the creek, it was far from navigable even at half tide. jammed out thru the river entrance which although there were a few breakers, they were generally small and with a decent lull we got out ok. coming in was interesting with a mid-ebbing tide!

heard that beach launching behind the wall near the gaol is by far the safest option, if your boat/car/trailer are equipped to do so.

I agree with swoff,

Its scary at the best of times, and id refuse to go out with someone who hasnt had the experience crossing bars first hand, and even then its touch and go on occasions.

Chris

Guest hottuna

Ive crossed it a fair few times over the last 4yrs. Its nasty and very powerfull. We`where even astuck out one night when the wind swell was against us. Spent a very cold windy rough night anchored on the 2 moorings in the bay. Other times like this feb it was like glass for days, the guys managed to get the polycraft through the river no probs. Not everyone has access to a local, no one is born with the gift of crossing bar crossings, everyone has to start somewhere. I did the exact same as yourself. My kness still turn to jelly when i`m close to the thing. Its that impressive. Read the link that swoffa posted its full of fantasic info, inc pics

dan

Oooh crap!! Oh crap! Oh crap. Thanks for the download chaps non the less. Better get an updated PFD 1 and off we go. You've scared the heck out of moir but the challenge is interesting.

Wombat :1yikes: