Fishing for the World Cup BBQ

leatherjacket

Hey Fishraiders,

Had a great day on Sydney Harbour today and thought I should share it with you all... I tried to get out of bed this morning but I had misjudged the number of glasses of wine that I could enjoy myself and still able to spring out of bed early in the morning.

So it was an afternoon season from 3pm onward. I left from Clifton Gardens and managed two good large squid. I tried for more but they weren’t biting, probably because of the rain on Friday night making the water slightly cloudy.

I trolled with the squid for almost three hours until the sun was low in the sky and my rod went off at about 6:30pm. After many screaming runs I managed to keep my cool and landed a nice 96cm hood.

I still had one squid left and was loosing light. So I chucked the second squid on a hook and paddled back to the spot I hooked up to my first kingie. After a couple of passes I connected to his mate who first I took as shark due to the endless screaming runs! After 5 minutes I saw colour and netted a 99cm beast!

With the banning of fish traps and commercial fishing in the harbour the fish stocks are looking great and if the fishing is this good in October I can’t wait for summer!!!

Cheers,

Andrew

post-9297-033041300 1318676127_thumb.jpg

post-9297-099389200 1318676144_thumb.jpg

post-9297-021219000 1318676162_thumb.jpg

Excellent result. What is your downrigging method from the yak?,ive tried from my kayak but cant keep the bait down?

Hi mate,

I've mounted a downrigger on my yak - it's a small Scotty with a 3lb ball. If you don't have a downrigger I recommend using a #10 ball sinker with a 1mtr trace which is what I used to use.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great catch buddie...we're bouts in

The harbor u catch them if u don't mind me asking

Hi mate,

There is no point disclosing a particluar spot because the fish roam through out the harbour. I do recommend that you look for structure and banks that drop off between 20 - 60 Feet. Some of my favourite spots include the wedding cakes, pig and sow, quarantine station bouy & the tripod at rose bay. I hope this is helpful...

Cheer,

Andrew

Hey Fishraiders,

Had a great day on Sydney Harbour today and thought I should share it with you all... I tried to get out of bed this morning but I had misjudged the number of glasses of wine that I could enjoy myself and still able to spring out of bed early in the morning.

So it was an afternoon season from 3pm onward. I left from Clifton Gardens and managed two good large squid. I tried for more but they weren't biting, probably because of the rain on Friday night making the water slightly cloudy.

I trolled with the squid for almost three hours until the sun was low in the sky and my rod went off at about 6:30pm. After many screaming runs I managed to keep my cool and landed a nice 96cm hood.

I still had one squid left and was loosing light. So I chucked the second squid on a hook and paddled back to the spot I hooked up to my first kingie. After a couple of passes I connected to his mate who first I took as shark due to the endless screaming runs! After 5 minutes I saw colour and netted a 99cm beast!

With the banning of fish traps and commercial fishing in the harbour the fish stocks are looking great and if the fishing is this good in October I can't wait for summer!!!

Cheers,

Andrew

Brillant stuff, lovely yak too.

Cheers,

S.

Hey Andrew,

So all you have to do to achieve the same success each time is to get plastered on wine the night before, do an arvo session the next day and clean up again.

It's a wine-ing formula....er, I mean it's a winning formula...:biggrin2:

Tony

Great captures there mate.

Can I ask what sort of gear you used to submit these 2 brutes?

Rod, reel, line ratings. Just out of curiosity as I have a Hobie Revo myself and curious to know how heavy (light) your gear needs to be in order to subdue kingies this size off the yak.

Marty

Great captures there mate.

Can I ask what sort of gear you used to submit these 2 brutes?

Rod, reel, line ratings. Just out of curiosity as I have a Hobie Revo myself and curious to know how heavy (light) your gear needs to be in order to subdue kingies this size off the yak.

Marty

Sure Marty... the set up is:

8 - 15kg rod

6000 reel

50lb line

80lb leader

6/0 hooks

Cheers,

Andrew