Greenwich fish

samboy

Not worth the risk mate... stick to the fish on the east side of the bridge.

Mate are you saying that a Kingy at greenwhich didn't come from east of the bridge?? It's not like they live up the river all their life.

To answer the original question YES, without hesitation, hell i catch them at gladesville during summer and don't think twice about eating them as i know they spend most of their time either out at sea or around middle harbour and only come up river to follow baitfish when the water warms up. In my opinion there is just as much risk eating one from east of the bridge as there is from west of the bridge.

Mind you I'm only talking about Kingies here which are the only fish i'll keep west of the bridge.

Ben

Honestly to be safe don't eat fish out of sydney full stop or just eat the recommended amount per week cause who tells Mr Kingfish not to swim west of the bridge same for Mr Blackfish and Mr Bonito and Mr Bream then there the food chain the prawn from Homebush eaten by the blackfish from Balmain eaten by the jewfish fron Clifton Gardens! Toxins accumulate as you go up the food chain due to volumes consumed!

I will say this I've eaten blackfish from the Georges. Botany Bay, The Harbour and the Rocks they are travellers have most likely been up the Cooks thru a sewer outlet and yet if you catch one off say Stanwell Park its okay to eat but if you caught it well up the Cooks oh no don't eat it! What you really should be concerned with are bottom feeders that reside mud crabs are a classic!

My two cwnts worth but if I caught king at Greenwich or a luderick its coming home for a feed!

Hell yeah I'd eat a kingy from Greenwich. Nothing else though. For the same reasons stated above. Kingfish are a pelagic species so firstly it wouldn't be a resident fish and secondly they're fast growing. My guess, although I'm not certain is that a just legal kingfish would be no more than 2 years old. It's the older, slower growing, bottom feeding species that cause the most concern. Things like bream. Not to mention that eating one kingfish caught out of Greenwich is hardly going to do anything. With most of these things it's an accumulation effect. Eating one fish out of Greenwich is completely different to getting a feed of bream from homebush every week of the year. My two cents anyway.

I know kings are pelagic so you're a bit safer, but just because something is fast growing doesn't mean it hasn't accumulated a lot of dioxins and heavy metals. The fast growing fish that's been snacking on 10 year old bream will see the full benefit of the breams conscientious and diligent consumption of toxic foodstuffs.

Mate are you saying that a Kingy at greenwhich didn't come from east of the bridge?? It's not like they live up the river all their life.

To answer the original question YES, without hesitation, hell i catch them at gladesville during summer and don't think twice about eating them as i know they spend most of their time either out at sea or around middle harbour and only come up river to follow baitfish when the water warms up. In my opinion there is just as much risk eating one from east of the bridge as there is from west of the bridge.

Mind you I'm only talking about Kingies here which are the only fish i'll keep west of the bridge.

Ben

Mate, i know they origionally come from east of the bridge. The thing is they chase baitfish that quite possibly spend their whole life up that way and feed on them which can potentially make them contaminated. If you really want to eat a kingy from up that way then eat it.... There's just always that risk in the back of your mind.