Stolen electronics

Yakkaa

I just wanted to voice my concern ... I recently purchased a secondhand boat. I have had boats for quite some time and never made an insurance claim. My new does not fit in my garage and subsequently is left is the in the driveway. 3 days after I purchased boat the fish finder/GPS, marine radio and stereo go missing. The best part about all of this is I have yet put the boat in water!!!! I lodged a claim with the insurance company, and they have requested proof of purchase. How am I supposed to show proof of purchase of these items if they came fitted on the boat ... That the previous owner had imported from the states. This has been a nightmare and I just want it sorted out. They said photos isn't good enough .... I am reluctant to mention who the insurance company is at this stage but I can assure you if they don't take care of this I'm going to voice my pinion on every fishing forums... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ... The scary thing is I bet most of us are covered by these guys.....

When I took out a policy on my imported boat I had to provide a copy of the survey report listing the equipment I wanted covered along with a copy of the bill of sale. When you bought the boat did you get an itemized receipt?

A statutory declaration from the seller or copies of receipts he has may be sufficient. Part of the reason they want receipts is to work out how old the equipment is and the market value (and to prove they did actually exist). It may be under the policy excess value anyway.

Mate that sucks!

I asked my insurance company if they would cover the "extras" fitted to my boat last time I renewed my policy. They said that I didn't have to provide an itemised list to them for their records but in the event of total loss they would cover everything that I had a receipt for (and nothing that I didn't). They suggested that I take it to an authorised dealer and have an evaluation done, which the dealer listed down all the accessories fitted,condition, and valued the boat as a total package.

If you can contact the previous seller, with any luck they may have had something like this done at some stage?

Just a thought. Hope you get something sorted out.