Sydney Salmon

Hi Raiders,

It's been a great couple of weeks recently with the Salmon. It seems they have become so reliable that you can get them everyday.

My record so far is 36 in a day.

A few people that I have met recently out on the water have been asking me what lures I have been using, because the Salmon have been feeding on Glass Minnow and have been a bit hard to hook. One guy even offered me $50 for a lure.

I've found the best lure to use is a Crystal 6' Silstar Slapstix, and in terms of the fly the Surf Candy has been most effective.

The slapstix is also a great lure incase the Kings turn up. Personally I haven't seen any kings on the surface, but it is only a matter of time.

Gotta say the slaptix out fishes any traditional metal slug.

I urge everyone to get out and give the fly a crack while you can because it's just too easy at the moment.

Just one thing, try and avoid trolling through the schools, because it won't work and it will only put the fish down. I lost it the other day at a guy who trolled through the school and snapped my fly line in the process.

post-17998-024911700 1319104676_thumb.jpg

post-17998-049052300 1319104689_thumb.jpg

post-17998-023244500 1319104702_thumb.jpg

post-17998-049439500 1319104722_thumb.jpg

post-17998-003951000 1319104733_thumb.jpg

post-17998-050282400 1319104761_thumb.jpg

Kurt

Thankyou Kurt for your in depth description on the lures and flys of choice as that definately helps us all out :thumbup: nice way to spend days on the best harbour in the world.

Cheers Stewy

P.S what type of flyline are you using sinking ,intermediate etc ? and weight

Yep most of them have been caught around north head, but you can find them on the surface as far up as Putney. Interestingly I haven't seen them in middle harbor once.

In terms of fly line, I use an 8# intermediate 1 with a straight 1.5m 10lb fluorocarbon leader.

But a floating line will work. Maybe stay away from a sinking line.. Look at a shooting head or something, best for working in the wind

Kurt have you tried throwing some big pencils like zipping ziggy's at them yet?...awesome surface strikes and heaps of jumps....we got 39 (all released) down in Pambula this time last year all on suface poppers...pretty hard to find a better way to spend a day...well done mate....

I was out with Kurtis when we got 36 to the boat, probably my best salmon session to date. Apart from us and another boat with 2 fly guys on board, we were the only ones getting fish consistently. We actually saw two guys in a rubber ducky try for at least an hour to get 1 trevally and no salmon. I think boat position definitely helped us, and a big thank you to Kurt for his driving skills, if you weren't retrieving your lure or fly in the right direction the salmon wouldn't really be interested. It seemed counter intuitive, but with the salmon taking bait no more than an inch long that they would take a big plastic with ease. Then when the wind picked up in the afternoon making fly casting hard the slapstix came into their own. Almost every cast, just let it sink a few seconds, a few cranks and you were on. I think the fact they use a single jig hook helps keep the salmon on, not to mention the fact that trebles seem to get caught or stuck on everything except the fish! Great day all in all, I'm just waiting for those kingies to come up and have a day like that on them!!

Great catch mate! Good to see others have been getting in on the action!

Have to disagree about trolling through schools of fish though, not that I do, I like to stay on the edges and cast into the schools etc etc. However, prior to rods and reels people had handlines..and trolling around and through schools was the norm..so it is usually these people who like to stick to the older methods such as trolling (be it with a rod or not) for catching surface species and one should totally respect that..beyond that, we are gifted in Sydney to have acres of salmon around our headland, even if the school is spooked, they will return or move on and find another.

Especially when the modern day fisho with all the latest gear bag out on pelagics and get double even tripple digits in one session, I think it's unjust to frown upon the odd boat that perhaps doesn't know any better but to troll through a school of fish for a feed.

Nonetheless, great catch and hopefully they hang around a bit longer!

Great catch mate! Good to see others have been getting in on the action!

Have to disagree about trolling through schools of fish though, not that I do, I like to stay on the edges and cast into the schools etc etc. However, prior to rods and reels people had handlines..and trolling around and through schools was the norm..so it is usually these people who like to stick to the older methods such as trolling (be it with a rod or not) for catching surface species and one should totally respect that..beyond that, we are gifted in Sydney to have acres of salmon around our headland, even if the school is spooked, they will return or move on and find another.

Especially when the modern day fisho with all the latest gear bag out on pelagics and get double even tripple digits in one session, I think it's unjust to frown upon the odd boat that perhaps doesn't know any better but to troll through a school of fish for a feed.

Nonetheless, great catch and hopefully they hang around a bit longer!

When you've got 10+ boats all circled around a school casting and you drive through the school you will cop it. Especially from me.

You wouldn't drive within 5m of a guy anchored up in the river, so why do it out on the Harbour.

If someone trolls directly over your lines then that's a different story, however if the whole of north head is boiling with salmon as it has been, then you should ask that person to move on to another school politely or do do yourself..

No need to be arrogant, you don't own the water nor the fish.

I don't troll through schools, but wake up and start respecting other peoples methods of catching fish. Not all boats are equipped with 2nd spin gear capable of casting a 5gram 40m+. That should not be a reason why they don't have an equal right to target school fish..

Kurt have you tried throwing some big pencils like zipping ziggy's at them yet?...awesome surface strikes and heaps of jumps....we got 39 (all released) down in Pambula this time last year all on suface poppers...pretty hard to find a better way to spend a day...well done mate....

Have u tried some of the 'walk the dog' style lures. They have the best surface strikes..

Have u tried some of the 'walk the dog' style lures. They have the best surface strikes..

Yeah mate the Zippin Ziggy's are about 8cm long and just a big pencil (go for the brown and white combo) and you just walk them back to the boat...surface strickes are insane, I've seem some lauch like 2-3 feet in the air....Bonnie's don't seem to be intrested in them though but Tailor and Kings will crack them too....and cause they are about 8cm long, you don't lose many because they are larg'ish and can't really get them down to far...

I love chucking poppers for bream but salmon and tailor on popper gets me through the winter period!!!!

Edited by Poddy Trapper