Catching Bream in the Hacking

cruisecraft

Hi fellow Raiders,

The last 3-4 months, whenever I have a slow day at the office and have a 2 hour gap at lunch time(it happens about once every 2-3 weeks),I have been going home and jumping into the Hobie Kayak and having a fish for Bream. It helps that I am self employed and I work 5 mins from home and can drop the kayak into the Hacking from the backyard.

I have been using Gamakatsu worm EWG hooks in 4'O' and using either nippers(live or frozen)or peeled prawns with no weight, with an 8lb flouro leader and 6lb mainline, and I have been having pretty consistent success. My best effort was 7 bream at lunch time. The frozen nippers tend to float and will require split lead shots to get it to sink slowly.

The technique has been to approach pontoons with stealth and flick the unweighted bait(or with minimal split weights) up current of a pontoon and let the bait sink under the pontoon or if there are mooring poles to flick it close to the front of the pontoon and wait for the line slack to tighten and hang on. I have my line a bit slack and the Gamakatsu is very sharp, so when the bream hits, the line will tighten and I pedal away from the pontoon and hold on. The bream are quite smart and will try to head for structure with oyster growth to cut you off, and frequently I have had to palm the spool to stop the bream from cutting me off and hoping the line holds together. Most of the bream under the pontoons tend to be the bigger ones and high 30's and low 40's cm are quite regular.

So for those having trouble getting bream in the Hacking, try this method. The only set back is that once a bream is caught at one pontoon, the rest of his mates scatter and will not return for a while, so I go on to the next pontoon and return much later. I have tried this technique with a few moored boats but the pontoons have been the more productive.

This was yesterday's effort with peeled prawns, it went just over 40cm. I kept this one as the wife wanted fresh fish to steam cook for dinner last night.I had to rush back to work at lunch time and so cleaned the fish at 6pm when work was finished.

Regards Kit

post-2393-065769400 1319110941_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice way to spend your lunch well done to you,

I have been giving the kayak serious thought as it really allows you to get in close to those moorings and in a few months you will be playing with kingies instead of bream...

Wish I could go fishing at lunch!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Hey Kit,

Yes I also use my morning to think about fishing.

The daydream goes from morning, through lunchtime and finishes at 5:00pm.

For most of us this IS a daydream, but what a nice dream it is and we can have it over and over again.

It must be nice to drop the yak into the water at the end of your yard, quietly paddle in the spleandour of a calm, quiet and tranquil hacking.

Then feel the adrenalin of anticipation as the bait splashes down tantalizingly close to the pontoon.

In the shadows beneath the the structure, the bream would turn their heads up to the morsel slowly floating down.

The fastest fish would out-compete the others to grab the bait and slam that rodtip to the floor.

Your powerhouse legs go into overdrive as you create a ski-boat wake behind you in an effort to muscle the fish out of it's domain.

After a few solid runs and headshakes, the fish's broad flanks appear just underthe surface as you hoist your prize into the boat.

A kilo of glistening chrome sits at your feet.

Mission accomplished.

See - I'm dreaming again...

Gotta get out there this weekend

just gotta...

Tony

Hey Kit,

For most of us this IS a daydream, but what a nice dream it is and we can have it over and over again.

It must be nice to drop the yak into the water at the end of your yard, quietly paddle in the spleandour of a calm, quiet and tranquil hacking.

Then feel the adrenalin of anticipation as the bait splashes down tantalizingly close to the pontoon.

In the shadows beneath the the structure, the bream would turn their heads up to the morsel slowly floating down.

The fastest fish would out-compete the others to grab the bait and slam that rodtip to the floor.

Your powerhouse legs go into overdrive as you create a ski-boat wake behind you in an effort to muscle the fish out of it's domain.

After a few solid runs and headshakes, the fish's broad flanks appear just underthe surface as you hoist your prize into the boat.

Mission accomplished.

just gotta...

Tony

Hi Tony,

I too, daydream about matters piscatorial, whilst at work.

MATE, I thought I had it bad, but it is reassuring to know that there are others out there, just like us, suffering this "affliction". An affliction that can only be alleviated by the holding a rod in the hand and then that feeling of a burst of pure energy at the other end and then the unbridled joy at the holder's end. Sweet dreams, Tony, sweet dreams.

Regards Kit

Hey Kit,

Mission accomplished.

just gotta...

Tony

Very poetic Tony.. great reply