Sydney Land based, not much happening......

mattyv86

Gday guys, a mate and I have been going out a fair bit nit night fishing in hope of a jew. We fished Clontarf reserve for 9 hours and produed 1 decent flatty going 57cm to a live bait. Fished Roseville bridge from 6pm to 3am with live yakkas and fresh squid and caught 1 pinky going 29cms and a whiting going 39cm to a squid strip. Also fished Bradley street wharf all night and didnt get anything.Have fished just about every wharf in Sydney Harbour. What am i doing wrong, using live baits and fresh squid and prawn but just cant seem to produce any fish, Putting in plenty of hours and long nights but its not happening.Im thinking bout giving Clifton Gardens a go, I hear its not a bad spot at times. O well thats fishing, try again next week.If anybody wants to help me out with a decent landbased spot that would be great. I no its like asking 4 the winning lottery numbers but ill take what I can get. Thanks heaps fellas.

Guest Aussie007

Gday guys, a mate and I have been going out a fair bit nit night fishing in hope of a jew. We fished Clontarf reserve for 9 hours and produed 1 decent flatty going 57cm to a live bait. Fished Roseville bridge from 6pm to 3am with live yakkas and fresh squid and caught 1 pinky going 29cms and a whiting going 39cm to a squid strip. Also fished Bradley street wharf all night and didnt get anything.Have fished just about every wharf in Sydney Harbour. What am i doing wrong, using live baits and fresh squid and prawn but just cant seem to produce any fish, Putting in plenty of hours and long nights but its not happening.Im thinking bout giving Clifton Gardens a go, I hear its not a bad spot at times. O well thats fishing, try again next week.If anybody wants to help me out with a decent landbased spot that would be great. I no its like asking 4 the winning lottery numbers but ill take what I can get. Thanks heaps fellas.

its pretty quiet everywhere mate u need to pick a species and target that fish rather than just going out hopping for anything it also gives u something to look forward to once u catch the fish jew are probably one of the hardest to catch lol

Edited by gazza

Mate,

You are not doing anything wrong.. just stick with it and you will get into the fish eventually,

I find this time of the year is hard work for the shore based angler, unless your targeting Black fish (something I am dying to do but haven't got around to it just yet)

out of curiosity is it just Jew's that you are targeting???

Cause they have slowed down for most people I know that fish for them, but over the coming months the numbers will increase.

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by beginner

gday mate, If it were me i would be targeting clarks point on the run out tide with fresh squid on a snelled double hook rig, i know a guy who used to fish that area from a boat and caught plenty of jew and I reckon it would work shorebased also.

good luck

pete.

Float fishing (no sinker) with use of occasional burley during the first few hours from the dawn always produce good fish for me at most of wharves. If you haven't tried, please try once. thanks.

your doing everything right - i have been doing the same - with minimal luck but it can turn at any time - i find u gotto split your night n days

Stretch your sessions thru to 10am into the day - that way you get a crack at the pelagics if the jews dont come to play of a night

i fished 2am till 2pm friday into saturday, 12 hour bender - i had a 1 hour window at 8am when it all went hectic and i got 2 epic egi and a trev in 10 mins

2 nights before i fished 3am till 11am - all the action was before light at 5am (but this is squid they are never consistent)

your kinda harnessing your potential with the times your going - a larger range of fish will bite in sunlight - but targeting jews is like test cricket - patience

also i think its going to be a bumper summer

i saw alot of teeming aquatic life on the weekend - bait size and predating size - in the harbour - its hard to fathom, but the harbour is like a fine wine - just keeps on gettin better (last 15 years anyway)

i have to pinch myself to realise how clean the harbour is and how many people live and pollute in it

to see pelagics busting up in a metropolis harbour that approx 4.5m people reside on - is quiet an unbelevable achievement

The fishing may be better in NZ, but they have the same amount of people as Sydney. We do pretty good.

I mean heck it not as if we dont use it - the harbour is packed daily - its one of the busiest waterways on the planet - people that complain shoulds go holidays in HongKong or NY and see how it should NOT be done.

I'd love to go to Auckland and just gauge at the contrast of human activity - thus aquatic activity - v sydney - for the natural environment/eco system is all the same - i'd like to see if my 6 hour donut sessions in sydney can be convrted into 6 hour weekly feeds in auckland :)

ARE YOU USING BERLY ?