Botany Bay flathead from the groynes

lukeyj1973

Hi Raiders - what a cracking day it is out there today... :thumbup: It's been an age since my last report as my little 15 month old daughter has been keeping me busy... in a good way of course! Anyway - I managed to sneak off to the groynes along Brighton beach for a quick flick at about midday today - the bottom of the tide I think. I was using some 10cm Berkley Shakey Shads in the punk prawn colour... basically I just cast as far as I can, and then slowly bounce it back along the bottom... well after about an hour I managed to get this beast which put up quite a decent fight once it realised it was hooked!!! I measured it at home and it went bang on 60 cm... It will go very well as a red Thai curry tomorrow night... It's always tough landing them out on the stones, and this time was no different... I use 12 pound flourocarbon leader so basically reefed it out, and then tried to grab it without getting spiked... unfortunately it got it's head down a small hole in the stones and as it shook it's head the line was cut on the oysters and down into the caves it went... :ranting2: It probably took me 15 minutes to finally grab it's tail with some pliers and pull it out again... slicing up my arm nicely on the oysters in the meantime! It was well worth it...

There was another bloke fishing off the end of the groyne using bait whilst I was there... he managed a couple of small rays which were both released.

All in all - a lovely day out on the water, and am looking forward to getting out a bit more over this summer. Hope everyone else managed to get a fish or two...

Cheers

post-11840-082343500 1319347641_thumb.jpg