Fishign at CG

nosquid

Went out to CG on Sunday morning. This is my second time fishing here and was really only wanting to target the squid and possible something big that would eat the squid and later on black fish. Well let me say that the session started off rather very slow, landing not 1 squid at all for the first hour. Then just before sunrise I threw in a little bread to catch a Yellow Tail, Rig it on and send it out suspended on a float. Not much happening and well lots of other people fishing that piece of water. Only thing I saw was guys catching a few legal Travelly. Anyway after sunrise I carried on squiding and managed to catch a really small Squid, perfect size bait. About 10cm in total size. Well off came the yellow tail, free to live another day and out went the first squid.

I left my friend to watch it and went off again in search of more squid. Well eventually I managed another small 10cm squid and went back to rig my other rod. Much to my belief, my fried says that the first squid is gone and that he didn’t see anything.

So I put the 2nd squid on and cast it out. As it hits the water you can just see the black ink go everywhere. Now as per a previous post, the small squid really did not last too long..alive. It died pretty much on impact to the water. After a while the having the squid just suspended on the water column, I reel it back in only to find that all the tentacles have been eaten off but the head and body still attached. Not much else action. Well Proceeded to keep squiding and still managed a further 2 small squid. By this time the sun was up and well you could see a number of black fish and bream around. Well I decided to switch over to blackfish fishing,. It’s very frustrating that the fish are all holding right underneath the bridge and you just cant get them interested. I had burleyed lots of weed and bread but they just ignored it all. Well eventually we left and I released the two small squid in my bucket to live another day.

Any info or techniques on rigging live squid would be appreciated. also is there anyone else out there that can perhaps show me how to catch the luderick constantly and I am starting to wonder if my first success was actually a fluke as all other attempts of late have been very poor on my part.

Hi Squid Jig,

I usually hook a live squid through the hood near the head. There is a gap either side of the head (where the jet propulsion units are located) and I hook them right there. I found that by using the other method of hooking them through the top of the mantle, many where getting hit and the squid would go without a hook up.

I don't know much about Luderick but I am sure the others who seem to brain it all the time will give you some tips. I have always struggled to catch fish you can see!! Maybe try some different spots where the cover is better. Usually, fish in view will be easily spooked or, simply not bite.

Good luck!! :biggrin2: