Port Hacking and Botany Bay

pmak

Bit of a different post this time.

My parents have come to visit from overseas and I've been dying to take my Dad out fishing on the boat. With beatiful conditions forecast for last weekend, I took them out to Port Hacking first for a bit of a cruise to admire the scenery with a little bit of fishing thrown in. We launched from the Swallow Rock Reserve ramp and made our way to Warumbul. Second cast with the squid jig and Dad pulls in his first squid!

post-3388-031374600 1319441458_thumb.jpg

Dad pulled another squid in the same area soon after and things went quiet for a while.

We moved to the main channel off Lilli Pilli next and I rigged Dad up for flathead for the outgoing tide. Lo and behold - a trevally scoffs down the 4" jigging grub and gave him his first taste of a trevally fight :thumbup: .

post-3388-039617800 1319441471_thumb.jpg

He followed that up with two flathead in the mid 40s and another just legal. I caught zip and was the net man for the whole trip!

The next day, we set off for my favourite grounds - Kurnell for you guessed it - trevally! We were fortunate with Dad getting his first hookup while I was rigging my rod. The action was good up to the slack tide when it went quiet for a while. We took the opportunity to take a break, have a nice sandwich lunch, enjoy the breeze and soak in the great outdoors!

When the tide was running again, the wind had also picked up. We used the wind to drift along the sand and weed patches and started catching them again with occasional lost rigs due to snook bite-offs. Dad also managed to get a decent bream on his favourite Gulp camo worm. In fact all his catches were on the camo worm! His best trevally was 41cm, a couple in the mid 30s, a couple just under legal and one just over. He was mighty pleased and has a healthy respect for the fight a trevally can put on :1yikes: .

post-3388-089842200 1319441481_thumb.jpg

It was good to take the folks out and show them a good time. Mum enjoyed the fresh air but had to keep out of the sun so I had set up a large umbrella for her as you can see in the photos.She cooked a mean trevally dinner that night. Dad still has a sore wrist from wrestling with the trevs. I hope there'll be some topwater action in the next trip out ...

Hi PMAK,

Looks like your father had a great weekend of fishing and good onya for getting him onto some quality trevally.

I love this time of year as we see such a variety of fish being caught by lure...just wish Minn Kota would hurry up and repair my motor.

Edited by Basscatcher

Thats great to see your parents out in the boat with you and your Dad has certainly lent you his fishing genes :yahoo:

Nice to see your folks well sheltered from the HOT aussie sun as well :thumbup:

Well done Pete.

Cheers Stewy

Stewie - not all the fishing genes have been transferred to me. My dad still managed to outfish me on both outings :mad3: ! Mum is still recovering from her cataract operation so she had to also have dark glasses on all the time.

Basscatcher - hope your MK unit is fixed soon. Mine occasionally plays up but going bezerk (spins around like it's lost its GPS bearings and then stops). I have to switch off the unit and then on again and it seems to recover after a 'reboot'. Was your issue similar?

• 3 weeks later...

Stewie - not all the fishing genes have been transferred to me. My dad still managed to outfish me on both outings :mad3: ! Mum is still recovering from her cataract operation so she had to also have dark glasses on all the time.

Basscatcher - hope your MK unit is fixed soon. Mine occasionally plays up but going bezerk (spins around like it's lost its GPS bearings and then stops). I have to switch off the unit and then on again and it seems to recover after a 'reboot'. Was your issue similar?

Hi PMAK, my Minn Kota is back now after a service and is working fine. The problem was just that when turning the motor it was a bit louder than normal. They replaced all of the O rings etc and it is back like new. I have had the same problem as you are experiencing and found it was my connection to the battery was loose. I fixed the connection and it stopped. If that doesn't work I would send it away for servicing under warranty and they may just replace the control board.....hope this helps. cheers Paul