Not happy with Water Police

kurtisjohnthomas

I think some of you guys have missed the point, if the Water Police/Maritime consider you to be a danger to navigation they will give you a move on order regardless of whether or not your in the transit zone or not.

Kurt to sit there and call the ferry master's cowboys is a bit above your head isnt mate? They have to deal with the idiot "week end boaters" everyday of their lives who cant tell the difference between the pointy end of the boat to the blunt end and the typical "I know boats, I have been boating for 20 yrs" characters who often frequent the waterways and then ferry masters are expected to maintain an almost impossible timetable whilst dealing with these clowns. For the 5 short blasts on the whistle means, that the master is unsure of the other vessels intensions. If just some of the pleasure boaters out there knew the rules of the road there wouldn't be such a need for the ferry masters to use their whistle as often as they do would there?

If the ferry masters didnt give the five short blasts in the event of an accident one of the first questions asked would be did you sound 5 blasts on the whistle.

No, I do not work for Sydney Ferries but have worked on Sydney harbour for a number of years and the amount of incompetence shown by some of Sydney's pleasure boaters defies believe.

Who said they lose $35,000 per ferry per week? How many ferries is there Kurt? Now times those 2 figures together and multiply it again by 52 for the total lose each year and let me know what it is. I know its a government run company and we all know that they arent the best at managing their finances, but I dont think they are that bad.

Edited by Whaler 255

I think some of you guys have missed the point, if the Water Police/Maritime consider you to be a danger to navigation they will give you a move on order regardless of whether or not your in the transit zone or not.

Kurt to sit there and call the ferry master's cowboys is a bit above your head isn’t mate? They have to deal with the idiot "week end boaters" everyday of their lives’ who can’t tell the difference between the pointy end of the boat to the blunt end and the typical "I know boats”,” I have been boating for 20 yrs" characters who often frequent the waterways and then ferry masters are expected to maintain an almost impossible timetable whilst dealing with these clowns. For the 5 short blasts on the whistle means, that the master is unsure of the other vessels intensions. If just some of the pleasure boaters out there knew the rules of the road there wouldn't be such a need for the ferry masters to use their whistle as often as they do would there?

If the ferry masters didn’t give the five short blasts in the event of an accident one of the first questions asked would be did you sound 5 blasts on the whistle.

No, I do not work for Sydney Ferries but have worked on Sydney harbour for a number of years and the amount of incompetence shown by some of Sydney's pleasure boaters defies believe.

Who said they lose $35,000 per ferry per week? How many ferries is there Kurt? Now times those 2 figures together and multiply it again by 52 for the total lose each year and let me know what it is. I know it’s a government run company and we all know that they aren’t the best at managing their finances, but I don’t think they are that bad.

I work on the harbour 5 days a week plus the time I have fishing. I have dealt with ferry drivers that purposely wash off rowing crews (luckily that individual no longer works with Sydney Ferries). One thing I saw yesterday alone, was a rowing crew trying to cross the river and in that time two ferries came and instead of pulling in behind one another, they both went on either side of the boat, filling it up with water, to the point where it almost sunk.

I'm not trying to say they are all like this though.

And Ferries run at nearly a 60million dollar loss

"Sydney Ferries cost taxpayers $91.8 million last year - or $9.48 per passenger journey. Farebox revenue fell $11.9 million to $36.7 million" SMH

If just some of the pleasure boaters out there knew the rules of the road there wouldn't be such a need for the ferry masters to use their whistle as often as they do would there?

Theres the problem right there. Rules of the road ?????? We are talking about on the water. Since when do you drive on the left hand side heading downstream. ????????

Rich