Mangrove Jack in NSW

iMick

Just reading the fisheries website, and was surprised to see that Mangrove Jack have been caught in southern NSW, see extract from fisheries website:

Distribution - Mangrove jack inhabit coastal waters and rivers from Shark Bay in Western Australia through Torres Straight and Queensland, south to Lake Illawarra in NSW. They are occasionally found in more southern estuaries of NSW.

Anyone ever caught one near Sydney? I've been smoked in tight against structure in Chippo Lakes but that was probably a really big Bass.

Mick

Edited by iMick

Just reading the fisheries, and was surprised to see that Mangrove Jack have been caught in southern NSW, see extract from fisheries website:

Distribution - Mangrove jack inhabit coastal waters and rivers from Shark Bay in Western Australia through Torres Straight and Queensland, south to Lake Illawarra in NSW. They are occasionally found in more southern estuaries of NSW.

Anyone ever caught one near Sydney? I've been smoked in tight against structure in Chippo Lakes but that was probably a really big Bass.

Mick

A geography teacher who was a keen fisho back in my highschool days and who knew the georges river system better than he knew himself told me back then that mangrove jack did exist in the system. I was very doubtful back then obviously not having seen such things i was very dubious. When i asked him he told me that he had caught one once and been busted off quite a few times. I still thought he was having me on. I asked him if it was worthwhile targetting and he said "no, they arnt common enough to target but they are there".... Which still sounded like a fairytail to me coz i havnt seen or caught one, but then again so did jewfish in the georges at one point, let alone 15kg plus jews which i HAVE since caught. Another person told me about salmon at chippo and i made fun of him for YEARS!!! only to catch TWO near the M5 bridge last year, which isnt very far from chippo at all. Not to mention watching some bloke pull in a spangled emperor off Balmoral warf one day only to read a no no no article that confirmed such rare catches as that and sweetlip in the lower harbour...

I guess after all my years of not seeing such things and being skeptical, nature has suprised me time and time again with what is possible. Does anyone remember a report years ago of a huge tailor around the 6kg mark caught in a land locked lagoon down south? Or the reports in the early 90's of big yellowfin being caught in south west arm Port Hacking? How about the big dolly between Sydney Heads last season?

I think anything is possible.

Maybe not often enough for it to become a consistency of any sort but i think we can never know what nature wants or doesnt want to permit IMO.

:thumbup:

Musty

Interesting post :thumbup:

I too have been done over in chippo up near the weir i thought possibly big black bream but they were distinctive takes much like a jack but I never thought of that at the time and I have caught a lot of jacks mainly in the Boyne and Calliope rivers and other systems around 1770 Ive also heard of jacks in the Hawkesbury I have seen a mate catch a salmon at Lambeth park a few years ago and Im pretty sure I hooked a giant herring once at Oatley which threw the lure right next to the boat

Could be possible. Lets hope so atleast.. I heard they only came as far down as Coffs Harbour with the odd fish being caught around sydney. I suppose some areas of the hawkesbury could be the perfect habitat for them.

I remember I dug up reports on fishraider from years ago of guys that were regularly targetting jacks in the lagoons around northern beaches ie manly, curly, dy etc and they had pics of numerous fish they pulled out so Id say yes, definately possible.

Yep they are one of the creatures of the black lagoon! Three or four years ago another really solid jack was fooled in the goon; maybe a genuine 3 kilo job! Stinking hot late summer evenings with a thunderstorm brewing are your best chance.

hi guys,

Yes they do exist. I know a couple of guys that caught some last summer off the eastern beaches with "the other kind of fishing."

I have personally photographed a clown triggerfish in botany bay on a winter scuba dive a few years ago- so anything is possible.

Gotta love that EAC... bring on the tropical species!