Botany Bay / Towra Point

pkat87

Just a quick report from my outing today, sorry no pics, was too busy re-rigging and re-applying sunscreen although still managed to get burnt...

Headed out from Kyeemagh boat ramp right on high tide, which was surprisingly not very busy.. Sped across to the 3rd runway, started drifting around till we got a few bites, then anchored up and put a couple rods out with peeled prawns on the end... Lots of pickers, managed to land one pinky which went back in the drink safely...

After 30 odd minutes of getting out bait stolen, we pulled anchor and headed over to the drums.. I wanted to hurry up and head over to Towra to hunt some flathead so we didn't anchor at the drums, drifted around for about 15mins for zip.. So off we went to hit up the shallows

Started drifting around the eastern side of Towra, hopping plastics around the edges of the weedbeds.. not much activity was to be seen, so we motored around to the western side.. Proved a good move, set up a couple rods with prawns again, and then continued hopping plastics off the bottom. After a few minutes I was onto a nice sized flatty, which managed to jump off the hook as I got him to the boat.. Cast back out and then one of the bait rods goes off, a nice sized whiting took one of the peeled prawns. As I was releasing the whiting, the rod with the Gulp 3-inch grub in pumpkinseed went off again, this time I was prepared with the net and landed a nice 40cm lizard that came home for dinner. Repeated the drift again but without any luck thanks to a jet-ski that came flying through the shallows.. Drifted a little further out and picked up 3 bream on prawns, which were also coming home for dinner.

Went quiet after that, picked up a little ray on prawns before deciding to head back to the ramp. All in all not a bad few hours out on the bay, and the beer battered flatty fillets topped off a good afternoon.

Again sorry for the lack of photos, will do my best to make time for pics next outing.

Good report. Towra is a nice spot to fish . Surprise you didnt get anything on the eastern side.

Yeah it was the first time I actually spent some time fishing there, I normally head to the typical spots chasing kings/trevs/bream like the runways and molli pt/oil wharf..

Maybe next time i'll spend a bit more time searching the eastern side.

Yeah it was the first time I actually spent some time fishing there, I normally head to the typical spots chasing kings/trevs/bream like the runways and molli pt/oil wharf..

Maybe next time i'll spend a bit more time searching the eastern side.

Eastern side always works a treat for me, usually drift from the middle to the eastern yellow buoy, many a lizard there, best Ive had is 2 x 70s that went back in, but most around the 40cm mark.

hopr to be there next Wednesday arvo afte work