Need Advice Sydney harbour

eastwood1980

Hi guys just wanted to ask a quick question, my freind has 2 kayak and i wanted to try sydney harbour for kingies

becasue i've been seeing alot of reports from sydney harbour people catching kingies etc...

1: Where would be the best place to catch either squid or yellowtails?

2: Are they still useful if they are dead?

3: Do i need to keep trolling around on my kayak

4: What depth would be the best?

5: What kinda line should i use or what kinda rig do i need to use?

6: Would i be coming across a shark while in kayak? If so what do i do? (been watching too much shark movies) :biggrin2:

Been seeing alot of people on kayak targeting kingies on sydney harbour.

1. Anywhere where there is Kelp, Rocky or Shelter. Clifton Gardens is a great place to start.

2. Yes, stripping squid is a great bait.

3. Yes

4. Varies. 5m-15m. You'll need a downrigger

5. Braided main line onto a mono leader 30lb+

6. Unlikely, stay calm bring your lines in and get out of its way.

Mate i dont kyak but i know how to catch kingsi n the harbour : )

If your going to troll dead baits get a down rigger. I would also recommend for trolling live baits also.

As for gear to use.

A 8-15kg boat rod with 4000 upward spin reel or decent overhead should do the trick.

I use 50lb braid when down rigging for kings just incase that hoodlum comes and rapes my bait.

Without going into too much details, ive given you the basics. get your self set up and get out there early. As for bait, yakkas and squid work well. for consistent results and considering your in a yak try the spit bridge and any jettys/wharfs with lights. I guarantee you there is yakkas and squid at all of them.

Hope this helps : )

U dont have to troll the baits around, drifting past markers can be just as effective without the expense of a downrigger, for drifting just run them on a running sinker to a quality swivel to at least a metre of fluoro (40-100lb depending on how big the Kings are gonna be) and a quality hook. I generally set baits at a variety of depths but if your in a kayak with only one rod around midwater is a good place to start, keeping them well off the bottom also keeps the baits away from pickers. Don't be afraid to have the bait only a couple of feet under the surface either as Kings will pop up anywhere in the water column.

G'day mate,

Everything others have written the only things if like to add are

1. Forty baskets has been great last 2 weeks for yakkas ESP the little bite size ones.

2.drift through the heads a we have been getting keeper kingies lately in that area.

Also sharks well if u see one take a 50w with u half a Bonnie and hook him up. Dont be scared it's alot of fun

Dude,

I chase Kings from my canoe in summer ,its just getting on the right time for bigger numbers real soon.

You don't need necessarily need a downrigger, relatively light gear will get you by most of the time, very little chance of a close encounter with sharks, there a plenty of methods that don't involve squid and yellowtail.

I live sort of close by Eastwood, I keep it real simple.

PM me if you want to go out.

Boccman