New Mercury?

samboy

Raiders,

Back again to pick your boating brains for some advice. So as I've stated in a couple of past posts we (Hiles and me) own a 1978 Evinrude 25hp 2 stroke, and have had a few little problems over the past year or so we have had it. It sits on the back of a 12ft dehaviland tinny and we were actually thinking of buying a new little 2 stroke 15hp Mercury outboard for it.

Reasons behind this mainly being realiabilty and knowing we can get home, as well as maybe fuel consumption? smoother ride? easier start, savings on repairs etc. Are these valid reasons or will fuel consumption not change much for example? Would love any advice possible :biggrin2:

Thanks!

Sam

Those new brand outboards Huett Marine are now selling look pretty good bang for your buck. They've been getting some good reviews around the traps also. Maybe worth giving Huett Marine a call for a raider price and good advice.

Yep, might be worth a go cheers Fezza

Hey mate I own the mercury 30hp two stroke. I know it's double ur size but i bought it last year so it prob is in comparison.. It starts first or second time every time and runs fairly damn good. Fuel consumption is good when cruising or putting around. Flat out it chews it!! It can be a little rough when trying to slow troll and it blows a little smoke at this speed but other than that I love it!!

Hey mate I own the mercury 30hp two stroke. I know it's double ur size but i bought it last year so it prob is in comparison.. It starts first or second time every time and runs fairly damn good. Fuel consumption is good when cruising or putting around. Flat out it chews it!! It can be a little rough when trying to slow troll and it blows a little smoke at this speed but other than that I love it!!

thanks mate, do u know around about how much fuel it chews in comparison to putting around??

Edited by Higgs

Those new brand outboards Huett Marine are now selling look pretty good bang for your buck. They've been getting some good reviews around the traps also. Maybe worth giving Huett Marine a call for a raider price and good advice.

The brand in question is called Vortex. Here's the link to Craig's announcement:

New outboard brand

Cheers

Hodgey

Hi, as I said in the PM to you that decesion is one that you can only make. Personally having run a few now, and the fact that they are upto 40% cheaper than the established brands, they are good value. ALL carby 2-Stroke engiens run about the same (except for the US 15HP Merc I told you about that is a stand out engine in the 15HP class-but also dear) so being able to buy a new engine with 3 years warranty at the prices of second hand engines without warranty makes it attractive and if anything major, like a faulty con-rod, is going to happen to any brand it will happen early in the life of the outboard so run it hard for 3 years and if she has not failed chances are it will last a while if you look after it, use good fuel /oil and flush them.

Cheers,

Huey.

Guest Aussie007

i bought the 2010 tohatsu 18HP in 2010 i had it on a 12foot tinny and the thing was fast! doing atlease 45kph in the boat alone i would go out drive all around pittwater,botany,port hacking for a half a day and come back in with half a standard tank that comes with the engine i paid $1999 they were on special

i bought the 2010 tohatsu 18HP in 2010 i had it on a 12foot tinny and the thing was fast! doing atlease 45kph in the boat alone i would go out drive all around pittwater,botany,port hacking for a half a day and come back in with half a standard tank that comes with the engine i paid $1999 they were on special

Sounds awesome, do much downrigging or slow trolling with it??

pretty much all i done was downrigging its not the smoothest engine at idle in gear but it'll run all day long

Righto cheers mate, reckon if you were to buy one again (for downrigging) you would go the tohatsu or the US mercury for smoother idling? about $400-$500 difference. Our old evinrude is hopeless for downrigging so we just want to make the right decision :biggrin2:

Guest Aussie007

if i was to buy one again i would buy the mercury 15hp super (same as the 18hp tohatsu) just because the name has better resale value

Hi, as I mentioned and gazza said the 18HP Tohatsu and Super 15HP Merc are the same and they are very lumpy idlers compared to the US 15HP Merc that IF low speed operation is important to you then it is by far and away the best 15HP carby available today for this usage, but you will pay more. Also having the very nice tiller with one hand operation, the much better tilt system (that you can use like P/T/T) when you get used to it, the co pilot steering and more makes it superior to any other 15HP. If you want the best you have to pay for it but if you are shopping on price the Vortex, being a copy of the Merc/Tohatsu idles and goes the same but at a fair bit less.

Cheers,

Huey.

Ive owend two mercs over the years now a 2oo5 25hp 2 stroke and currently a 4ohp 2oo8 model lightning xr never had a problem with any of them but both are and were looked after meticulously

GO THE MERC

Awesome motors specially for the price of em

Hey Higgs,

I have a 40HP Mercury 2 stroke(which is actually a Tohatsu motor).

Mines a 2005 model, runs like a beauty mate. On a cold start (haven't started for a month), will start on the 2nd or 3rd pull.

I don't really travel much when I go out, but in terms of fuel eco, I'd travel about... 1-2km, and that drinks about 5 litres.

happy shopping =)