something decent keen on me plastic

smiff

hi all,

would love a bit info from those in the know.

been having some good success on mini flatties but struggling to find some legals until...

anyway i love wandering the shallows of st georges basin flicking my plastic and have been averaging about 5 flatties an hour of late but they are all so small which is a bit unusual for the basin,great fun nonetheless.have been doing best on the 80mm bloodworm wriggler.normally couple of whiting and flounder take a liking to the plastic aswell.

anyway coming back to the main point i'm baffled as what could have taken my plastic at luuch time today!this time fishing in about 1.5m of water i got nailed by something that peeled about 20m of line off my reel in 10secs!i then retrieved a bit of line over the next 2 mins but then the fish just sat there,couldn't budge him! this happened at same spot back in april too,that time the creature straightened me hook!

anyway apart from the mini ones and the 2 beasts i've been doing ok and normally bring something home eventually doing the land based plastic thing.over the last month i've had 2 flatties exceding 60cms but not over 70cms.i livbe at sanctuary point and fish either end of walmer ave(u gotta now the ledge though!).

ANY ideas was these beasts could be??

cheers

Im with mako it was probably a ray Iv had it happen to me a couple of times you get all excited with this line peeling off then it just goes to ground and you feel like your on a snag

Edited by newbie88

Hi mate been down the basin the last few weekends and there certainly are a few big lizards around atm.. Caught&released 3 over 90cm and about 10 around the 75 mark ( after putting in some huge hours ofcourse ) i have found with the larger models they will grab your offering and run with it and bury themselves again which becomes a bit of a armwrestle to get them off the bottom which just requires patience ! If your after the bigger girls try bigger plastics with bigger Thicker guage jig heads..i find the black and gold squidgie fish in the 75-80mm size are doing the trick for good plate size if your after a feed! Good luck!

i have found with the larger models they will grab your offering and run with it and bury themselves again which becomes a bit of a armwrestle to get them off the bottom which just requires patience !

+1

I have experienced this on several occasions, especially when fishing in shallow water. Looong scorching runs followed by periods of trying to budge them from the bottom. In most cases the fish was over 90cm. Always pays to play the fish as a big flatty until you can prove otherwise

The basin can be a bit of a bummer with the little ones. I cant offer you much advice on shore based as I go in a boat, however I've been having success up wandandian creek of late. When I pull up to the shore and have some lunch there are vehicle tracks everywhere so mabey do a google maps search. Also I think the lagoon is accesable from sussexx inlet road, not shore though.

Failing that, next time im there lets have a fish, Ive got a weekender on The park drive and am hoping for a fish weekend after next, although you'll have to tempt me from the Bass in Danjera dam first!

• 2 weeks later...

The basin can be a bit of a bummer with the little ones. I cant offer you much advice on shore based as I go in a boat, however I've been having success up wandandian creek of late. When I pull up to the shore and have some lunch there are vehicle tracks everywhere so mabey do a google maps search. Also I think the lagoon is accesable from sussexx inlet road, not shore though.

Failing that, next time im there lets have a fish, Ive got a weekender on The park drive and am hoping for a fish weekend after next, although you'll have to tempt me from the Bass in Danjera dam first!

just read the replies.if you're around i'm heading out JB from murreys at say 4-5am if you're keen,tmw 20/11/11.i live on walmer,can pick up on park dr