Can a lure be too big?

clemsy

Hi

I've just been wandering, when I fish my local waters, it's about 1-2m, would the fish still take a 75mm or bigger SP?

Thanks!

Most of your bread and butter species (I'm assuming salt) will take a lure that size and larger, some (flathead/jew/trevs) more readily than others (bream/whiting) - having said that I've had some pretty keen bream hit some fairly large lures intended for bigger species. If I'm actively targeting bream (for example) I'll use hardbody lures from 35mm-65mm, but with soft plastics happily get away with 80mm Squidgies and some people even prefer the larger (100mm+) models.

If you're not getting any hits try downsizing, or using a lighter jighead.

Cheers,

Adam.

Guest hawkesbass

If any fish is hungry and thinks it can swallow your offering as a food source it will hit it some fish might be small in size and have a large mouth while others will be large with small mouths if you know what species you will specifically targeting you can research their main prey items and match lure choice/colours to suit

You just never no, my view is that you use the lure (type and size) for the fish you are targeting but by catch will alway come into play. Even more so if you are putting good action into a casted lure.

Check out this one I was getting Barra from 50cm upto 80cm in this corner of the gorge but was picking up guys like this.

post-16646-007004400 1320618796_thumb.jpg

Edited by pure spirit

Hey mate,

Sometimes I find the bigger the lure/Plastic the better especially when it comes to flathead, I remember fishing this patch at Forster with some mates and we had four boats some were using plastics I was using hard bodies. I had 10cm lure getting nothing then put on a 20cm lure and first cast got a fish everyone uped the size and we must of caught 40 fish between all the boats

Haha, that is pretty funny. Very eager little fish there, but yeah I will definitely not be afraid to use the bigger lures.

Thanks

I guess it's also a matter of scale :-)

This is my 'smallest' fish record on a lure. So bizarre I had to take the photo !

Haha, that is pretty funny. Very eager little fish there, but yeah I will definitely not be afraid to use the bigger lures.

Thanks

I guess it's also a matter of scale :-)

This is my 'smallest' fish record on a lure. So bizarre I had to take the photo !

post-16119-056436600 1320650634_thumb.jpg