Boat advice

Izza

G'day raiders

I was out with a mate today looking at some ex army pontoon boats there about 10ft and made of aluminum and going for about 1.5 grand as is no trailer or motor, Im in the process of saving up for a boat at the moment and after seeing this boat today Im sort of sold on it just coz I think it would be cool to cruise around in an ex army boat! what size motor would do you guys think I would need to get it around adequately basically I was looking at just keeping it simple with just a tiller steer and putting a seat on the back for steering comfort, so yeah what size should I be looking at and what price range would it be roughly? also how much for a trailer again just looking for a ball park figure or would I have to look at a custom trailer as it is wider than most aluminum tinnies Iv seen. any advice or pointers you can give would be greatly appreciated, my mate said his uncle bought one from the same place and it handles ok with a 50hp motor which hes set up with a center console but Im looking to keep it very simple and cheap as possible whilst still being reliable.

these are the ones I was looking at there all stacked one on top of the other just so you have an idea of what Im talking about

tight lines mateys

post-19365-056269300 1320550144_thumb.png

Edited by newbie88

Guest Aussie007

they look around 14 foot mate i doubt the army would use 10 footers there to small u would fit 2 people if its a 10 foot use a 8-10HP engine if there 14 footers use a 30-40HP engine being a commercial boat there probably rated to 60HP if they are 14 footers

true I might of got it wrong gazza but thanks for the tip and I think it's 1500 Im not 100% sure thats the price I was told off my mate whos uncle bought one a couple of years back, might be able to the guy down a bit seeing as he has a heap of them and they dont seem to be moving

Guest Aussie007

i would pay $1500 for one of those boats if there 14 footers they have no seats u could turn one into a mad center console it would be very roomy and the design would handle most bays,rivers,estuarys and off shore on calm days they would also be designed for high speed maneuvers and handling they even have rails along the side so no damage when pulling upto wharfs even if your into bass boats that would be awesome decked out with heaps of room

thats what I was thinking gazza I dunno about a center console as Im not incredibly technically minded I was thinking a tiller steer with a a seat put in next to it for comfort maybe a few other seats here and there and putting in a casting deck if the bottom isnt completely flat but yeah the environments you described were the exact ones I was thinking of, I best keep on saving my dollars up Id like to get it a.s.a.p quite excited as it would be my first boat ever

Edited by newbie88