Combo or seprate units

Bleeding Green

Alfa, you haven't mentioned what you want the GPS for? I really only use mine to mark spots where I catch fish (not many of those in memory haha) or some structure I think is worth revisiting. You really don't need add-on maps to use it for simple things like that.

If you are exploring an area, looking for an underwater landmark like reef and you don't have a rough area, the contours on the maps can give you a rough area to look, but they're not done in fine enough detail to spot a 2 metre drop off etc. You can always save up and buy them later like I did.

Personally,I think you should forget the maps for now (even if they're free, they're not REALLY free) and get the best unit you can afford. If the inbuilt maps aren't doing the job, buy the extended maps later. You'll thank yourself for getting the better quality unit.

[EDIT] Perhaps Huey can confirm, but I believe some of the better units can save data like sounder depth when you mark a waypoint as well.

HI Emptyhooks. Good question. I want it to help me navigate in areas that I am not familiar with. as an example last year I dropped the boat in at wallagga lake at night. Having done the same trip only hours before in daylight I thought I would be fine. But bloody hell it was slow going, I had no idea where I was and no many land marks to guide me.

And of course I'd also like to use it to save points and be able to guide me back there. Or input co-ordinates and guide me there. Helping me to find reefs, drop off etc would be an added bonus.

With the cost of the unit, it's not really about what I can afford but how much I can justify spending. Also if I buy a unit now and want to add a better map in 12 months would it be worth buying it for a unit that is more than 12 months behind in technology?

Jeez I have become such a procrastinator. I blame the internet. Before that I'd just go to a couple of shops, ask some q's and make a decision there and then!!

I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know. Does it look OK int he horizonatal on the elite? The GME is slightly bigger so a touch wider.

It tends to one of personal choice. I found the horizontal condensed (squeezed)the image so changed mine back to vertical.

Another thing I found is it's better to use the full Chart or Steer screen to get to the location then switch to Sonar for bottom structure & as such , rarely use the split screen function.

If cruising around looking for drop off's holes or structure then the full sonar screen is much better , ie , the chart screen is of little use on these occusions however at night that may be a different story.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

It tends to one of personal choice. I found the horizontal condensed (squeezed)the image so changed mine back to vertical.

Another thing I found is it's better to use the full Chart or Steer screen to get to the location then switch to Sonar for bottom structure & as such , rarely use the split screen function.

If cruising around looking for drop off's holes or structure then the full sonar screen is much better , ie , the chart screen is of little use on these occusions however at night that may be a different story.

Geoff

Cheers Geoff. Thanks for your input.

I've narrowed it down to two units. One which is within the price range I wanted to spend but maybe a touch outdated, the other is over (as usual) what I wanted to spend but sounds like a top unit which I can build on later if I needed, and is user friendly.

Stay tuned...

• 2 months later...

So after following recommendation from someone much more qualified than myself I settled on the Raymarine A series unit. Almost done fitting it, can't wait to get out there and test it. Will get a fair bit of use over the holiday period so I should know reasonably quickly how satisfied I am with my purchase.

Thanks everyone for the input in this thread.

Edited by Alfa-Rosa

So after following recommendation from someone much more qualified than myself I settled on the Raymarine A series unit. Almost done fitting it, can't wait to get out there and test it. Will get a fair bit of use over the holiday period so I should know reasonably quickly how satisfied I am with my purchase.

Thanks everyone for the input in this thread.