best and quickest way to clean marine carpet?

ma160802

After taking the boat out fishing evey weekend for the past few months my carpet in my boat has started to smell and look dirty now and i was just wondering what would be the best way to clean the floor? Its just simple marine carpet that is glued down to ply.

I usually go to a car wash with high pressure gun and use high pressure soap then rinse then apply another high pressure soap which I just leave to drain and dry.

This makes the carpet easier to clean the next time

I had the same problem, bits of prawn squid, and pilchard trod into the carpet. I used dishwashing liquid, wet it down then gave it a scrub with a hard bristle broom and then hosed it off with a high pressure water gun. It got the gunk out. Now I just use the water gun each time and it maintains it nicely.

The pressure gun and a wet dry vac to pull the water back out so it doesnt smell later.

The vacs you can get from hardware stores for under $100. Great for the shed to do the cars and boats n no fear of buggering up the house vac!

-all of the above but do'nt buy a cheap pressure gun the one thats starts with g :biggrin2: will set you back 300.00 and has 1900psi and a shampoo head we had marlin and mako blood in the carpet and it went black with mold easy to use and it will do paths so do'nt buy the cheap one for 100.00 spend the bucks cheers gary

simply hose it off, leave it to dry out and then cover up your boat. no tricks, just a bit of elbow grease required for scrubbing the hard stains and problem solved... had my carpet in for 2 years now with many blood and guts mashed in the carpet and easily fixed with a garden hose. As long as it is quality carpet then you wont have any dramas... just dont leave it wet for an extended period of time or covered up wet as it may go mouldy or worse, stink.....

• 2 months later...

Even easier, rent the carpet vac from any Woolworths store, the same one you use for your home carpets, costs about $40 to rent for a weekend! Put the shampoo in it and off you go, boat smells ace afterwards and the carpet gets a good shampoo.

I have cleaned my carpet before very successfully with some "sugar soap" detergent in bucket and use hand held stiff scrubbing brush for all the squashed in pieces...then just soak it with hose to wash all off and flood out back of boat...then get small piece of pine wood maybe 30 cm long with round smooth edge like the 90x35 building pine lengths you can buy at bunnings and push hard and run it along the carpet like a squidgy you would use across a glass window...works treat and pushes all excess water out and any dirty water remaining in carpet to drain out back of boat and then the carpet is truly dry in no time at all that way!

You can get a pressure spray for really cheap these days.

I bought one from the local "B" hardware house for $150. Not sure if I can say the name ("K"), but its yellow and black in color, very popular. Has over 1500 psi, and does the job great, plus they use a lot less water then your traditional hose.

If you really want to be diligent, take off the floors and give it good clean outside. Then hose down the hull too.

I did this 2 weeks ago, had so much junk in my hull, lots of mud, water bottles, a beanie lol. Good thing there was no swivel or sinkers down there. Now it looks "incredible" :074: