Port stephens help

pure spirit

Spending a week up in P-S at the end of the month, have rented a house at dutchmans beach.

HAve never been before so would love some help ! Will have a couple of non fishers with me but would like to do a range of stuff I'm set up for everything from blue water to bream. At least once i'd like to target table fish so a good snapper / kingie spot (reef) would be great and even a flathead drift to fall back on if things don't work out. If conditions are good i'd like to go wide (know it to early to expect marlin or dollies as a regular target)but if anyone has a general area that i'd stand a better chance i'd love to know.

Plus a live bait mark would be tops.

For the smaller stuff inside i'll work that out once i get there, but happy for suggestion.

I'm thinking of leaving the boat in the water some night at dutchman beach if the conditions are calm ! stupid idea ? I would not leave anything in it and would plan on leaving it a bit out.

Tips on ramps would be good as well, I know there are a few some being beach, I'm just under 6m and have never done a beach launch so they are not the best option even more so since the people with me have no boating experience. but i'm in a 4wd and have beach driving experience

thanks in advance.

Edited by pure spirit

Spending a week up in P-S at the end of the month, have rented a house at dutchmans beach.

HAve never been before so would love some help ! Will have a couple of non fishers with me but would like to do a range of stuff I'm set up for everything from blue water to bream. At least once i'd like to target table fish so a good snapper / kingie spot (reef) would be great and even a flathead drift to fall back on if things don't work out. If conditions are good i'd like to go wide (know it to early to expect marlin or dollies as a regular target)but if anyone has a general area that i'd stand a better chance i'd love to know.

Plus a live bait mark would be tops.

For the smaller stuff inside i'll work that out once i get there, but happy for suggestion.

I'm thinking of leaving the boat in the water some night at dutchman beach if the conditions are calm ! stupid idea ? I would not leave anything in it and would plan on leaving it a bit out.

Tips on ramps would be good as well, I know there are a few some being beach, I'm just under 6m and have never done a beach launch so they are not the best option even more so since the people with me have no boating experience. but i'm in a 4wd and have beach driving experience

thanks in advance.

Pure spirit Just got back from PS on Sunday. to answer a few of your questions ,

A lot of the PS area is Marine Park so I suggest you pick up a map to see the no fish zones.

Also , Don't forget Fishing licences for your non fishing mates if they intend to wet a line

Live bait. A few hundred mt's South of the heads there is a large crevas in the rock face ,you can't miss it. This is a good place to try.

General fishing , try the island directly off the heads

Personally , I would not leave my boat in the water overnight you never know what might happen , also, by the time you remove all the gear the boat could be on the trailer.

Ramps. Little Beach is the closest to Dutchmans Beach with heaps of parking. If heading up river use the ramp at Soldiers Point.

Note that driving the boat onto the trailer at LB is not permitted.

As far as I am aware there are no beach ramps in the PS area.

Here is info on the ramps ,

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=22250

Regards

Geoff

Just got back from Port Stephens. I did not do much fishing but saw some good catches of snapper come in. Also saw a nice bream caught of the wharf at Little Beach at the only place you are allowed to fish there.

Good ramp at Little Beach but can get very busy.

You can launch from the beach at Boat Harbour it is protected but i have seen people get stuck in the sand.

As Geoff said around tomaree head yakkas and slimeys.

There is 3 visitor moorings at Duchties although I think you have to stay on the boat overnight.

Cant say much for outside as I dont go a lot but inside jewies are turning up around Middle Island and there are heaps of flatties at the back of Soldiers Point and in Tilligery Creek at the moment.

Enjoy your stay and good luck with the fishing.

Also worth flicking plastics or blades on the run out tide from the beach at Duchies.

You can launch from the beach at Boat Harbour it is protected but i have seen people get stuck in the sand.

As Geoff said around tomaree head yakkas and slimeys.

There is 3 visitor moorings at Duchties although I think you have to stay on the boat overnight.

Cant say much for outside as I dont go a lot but inside jewies are turning up around Middle Island and there are heaps of flatties at the back of Soldiers Point and in Tilligery Creek at the moment.

Enjoy your stay and good luck with the fishing.

Also worth flicking plastics or blades on the run out tide from the beach at Duchies.

Thanks for the info, just traded up to a new hilux so less keen to get it "wet"