Sydney Squid

rjc123

Hey raiders,

i'm after the kingies this summer and the majority say the best bait is a live or fresh squid. I am currently landbased and will be fishing at balmoral. I know squid are regularly caught there and have seen them around before. Should i be able to catch them through the warmer months?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I dont see any reason why you wouldn't be able to catch squid in the warmer months also, The only downfall is the wharf your planning to fish from gets very busy in the warmer months,

Id suggest if time is on your side to sneak out through the week and try catch squid before you plan on fishing that way on the day you have some backup fresh squid if the livies are hard to come by.

I would also not discount using live yakkas which is uaually not too hard to come by as long as you keep the burley trail going,

I hope I have helped you in some way,

Regards,

Nathan

Yeah mate, ill try and get out during the week. I know, it gets very very busy at balmoral on weekends. In early october arrived there at 5 am and couldn't get a spot on the wharf at all! Ridiculous..

Yeah mate, ill try and get out during the week. I know, it gets very very busy at balmoral on weekends. In early october arrived there at 5 am and couldn't get a spot on the wharf at all! Ridiculous..

I have never personally been there but its a very talked about spot.

Id probably try to look around in my spare time for backup spots as it's very frustrating when you arrive at a spot at 5am which is not a easy task when travelling from far away to find the spot crowded it almost turns you off fishing all-together.

The most popular spots around sydney around this time of the year I try to stay away from on weekends unless I am going out without fishing gear just to sticky-beak and see what's happening.

Mate good luck on your quest, I hope to see a report in the coming weeks!!!

Regards,

Nathan

I have never personally been there but its a very talked about spot.

Id probably try to look around in my spare time for backup spots as it's very frustrating when you arrive at a spot at 5am which is not a easy task when travelling from far away to find the spot crowded it almost turns you off fishing all-together.

The most popular spots around sydney around this time of the year I try to stay away from on weekends unless I am going out without fishing gear just to sticky-beak and see what's happening.

Mate good luck on your quest, I hope to see a report in the coming weeks!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks mate! Hopefully i can crack my first legal kingie(s)!

over the years i have learnt u cant just go fishing.

u gotto plan it out, and put in some hours to get a wharf/pier

i now take the following approaches

a. 9pm till 9am - garuanteed to get a spot during the 12 hrs - write off following day to sleep

b. 4am till 2pm - be prepared to arrive at a crowded spot with fisho that have taken option (a) above

i stay away from wharves after sunrise and hit the stones with live/fresh bait caught from wharf/pier

over the years i have learnt u cant just go fishing.

u gotto plan it out, and put in some hours to get a wharf/pier

i now take the following approaches

a. 9pm till 9am - garuanteed to get a spot during the 12 hrs - write off following day to sleep

b. 4am till 2pm - be prepared to arrive at a crowded spot with fisho that have taken option (a) above

i stay away from wharves after sunrise and hit the stones with live/fresh bait caught from wharf/pier

What do you do between 2pm to 9pm??? plan your next trip lol. :biggrin2:

I agree with what you have said though!!

Regards,

Nathan

What do you do between 2pm to 9pm??? plan your next trip lol. :biggrin2:

I agree with what you have said though!!

Regards,

Nathan

i have massive issues - i buy tackle and watch bom.gov for a window of opportunity, and come on here :P

Hi Tom,

I was down at Balmoral wharf on Tuesday morning and caught a legal King. I caught it on a Yakka that was about 20 cm long! Yakkas were easy to come by early on and it wasn't too busy. Only three of us there.

Good luck

Ben

Hey mate, good to hear you got one! How were you fishing the yakka (under a float, unweighted or on the bottom)?