Lake Glenbawn Bass Trip

brendong

(Let me preface this entire report by saying - please excuse the Movember Mo and 'No' I'm not trying to go for the Hodgey look!)

On Thursday night, I picked up Coyote about 5 oclock from his work and we hightailed it out of Sydney making a b-line for Glenbawn dam. Having never fished it previously, I scored the low down from Swordy a few weeks earlier who bestowed a massive amount of Bass and Glenbawn related info which we would later put to great use.

We arrived about 4 hours later in Glenbawn unpacked and went to bed for an early start.

5.30 am start and as we pulled up to the ramp there was a sea of Skeeter’s, Nitro’s, Triton and Ranger bass boats ready for launching so I must say lining up with my new Stratos I did feel I at least looked like I knew what I was doing….it was already day light so we made a mental note to get up a little earlier the next day.

After launching we headed to the trees and deployed our first spinner baits and on my 5th cast I came up tight on the nice 38cm bass, a few minutes later I whacked another, then another. Coyote quickly made a spinner bait change to low and behold a similar colour and next cast was on the board. He quickly reigned in small lead and absolutely toweled me up for the morning session which saw 16 Bass caught and released by the both of us….with the wind up we jumped off the lake for a swim and snooze back at the Villa’s.

First fish

post-4925-044651300 1321273715_thumb.jpg

post-4925-027047300 1321273740_thumb.jpg

post-4925-022074700 1321273766_thumb.jpg

post-4925-054892300 1321273943_thumb.jpg

post-4925-061749400 1321273961_thumb.jpg

Recharged from the rest we headed back out in the afternoon to a strong wind and not the greatest conditions. We managed a few more solid bass from the trees and tried to find a few bays out of the wind. Another 10 bass came in the afternoon taking the days tally to 26 bass to 42 cm which we were very happy with for our first day in this awesome place.

post-4925-022701200 1321273995_thumb.jpg

post-4925-055806400 1321274148_thumb.jpg

In addition to the 26 bass, Coyote managed a cracking 54 cm (6.5lb) golden perch. He said that he actually saw the take but the massive fish and at first thought it was just an ugly carp before we got a glimpse of this awesome fish which will be submitted for FOTM.

post-4925-080316700 1321274029_thumb.jpg

post-4925-068768000 1321274050_thumb.jpg

post-4925-023154100 1321274098_thumb.jpg

We collapsed into bed after quick feed and set the alarms for 4.45am to get a jump on the Saturday crowds. Again plenty of action at the ramp but we headed straight back to the same spots and it wasn’t long before we came up tight some Bronzed Aussie Battlers…with a little more cloud it was a little slower than the previous morning and we did have to work a little harder.

post-4925-082250300 1321274310_thumb.jpg

post-4925-081947300 1321274348_thumb.jpg

We didn’t get off the water this day either and so had to search low and deep in the snags during the midday heat….we did find a quiet shady spot and had a swim or two….being in the fresh you kind of feel a little more comfortable launching out of the boat unlike you might in The Bay or maybe the harbor given there is the odd toothy lurking.

Refreshed from a swim we found an awesome couple of bays and racked up some good numbers. Funny every time one of us would hit a fish the other would almost instantly hook up too and that happened for the majority of the afternoon.

Really Fat bass

post-4925-049054100 1321274407_thumb.jpg

Really Fat Bass Crapping

post-4925-059732500 1321274448_thumb.jpg

post-4925-006432300 1321274476_thumb.jpg

post-4925-012819200 1321274508_thumb.jpg

4 seasons in one day though, it was blue sky and 30 degrees then the clouds rolled in and skies opened up and smashed us with rain. On one occasion we were in the heavy timber and Coyote hooked up and couldn’t stop a fish from racing into the timber….keen not to loose his lure or fish I convinced him to jump in and dive down to free his line while I manned his rod. I think the fish took one look at Coyote and bolted free from the snags so I played him into submission and netted him with Coyote watching on from the water…very funny and one story that will be retold for years…

Coyote takes a swim to free Bass

post-4925-029284800 1321274570_thumb.jpg

Same Bass now all dry

post-4925-028450300 1321274588_thumb.jpg

Best Bass of the trip

post-4925-086883500 1321274663_thumb.jpg

The afternoon got quite tough but we finished the day with a respectable 31 bass caught and released.

post-4925-083649900 1321274700_thumb.jpg

post-4925-004652100 1321274723_thumb.jpg

post-4925-005038900 1321274750_thumb.jpg

Home to bed and a quick feed. Might I say for Two blokes we ate like kings…both nights I turned my hand at making the worlds greatest salad (yes salad on a boys weekend, not sure it’s even been done before) while Coyote sorted the BBQ out….note to self the electric BBQ’s were fairly average.

post-4925-038364000 1321274826_thumb.jpg

Day three and we got to the ramp around 5.30 am, again a sea of blinged up bass boats…we only had a quick session due to out long trip back to Sydney and wanting to get back clean up and spend the late avro with the family. We managed 6 and got off the water at 9.30am. At 9.25am I was fishless for the day before coming up tight on a solid little bugger which was a massive relief to think I was going home with a doughnut from Glenbawn for the day probably would have scared me for life. So I guess I can claim first fish of the trip and last fish too but Coyote certainly had me covered for the majority of the trip in between…

post-4925-057841000 1321274887_thumb.jpg

Even though I played second fiddle to him we had an awesome trip and now see why Swordy goes annually and what all the fuss is about impoundment bass fishing. The strikes are BONE JARRING even from the little 30 cm tackers and well the 40 plus models give you absolute hell….I can only imagine what the 50 plus models would do…

We just fished 10lb braid with 14lb leader on our 2-4kg t-curves on 2500 stella’s and fireblood’s and only lost one fish to the snags. Being largely bream, flathead and whiting fisho’s we were thinking that using 10lb sounded like we’d be fishing with the anchor rope but after our first bass each, we understood the need for locked up drags and 10lb gear and there’s no way you lighten up. The lure that worked best took an absolute pounding and had barely any skirt left but the end of the our trip but was still taking plenty of fish…

post-4925-034441800 1321274924_thumb.jpg

We did have a few casts with poppers but with no cicadas or bugs much on the move they went untouched. Would love to go back when the surface fires up, I can only image the surface strikes….

So that’s our little wrap on Glenbawn 63 Bass and 1 cracking Golden over 2 and a bit days……in the humble words of Arnie ‘I’ll be back!’

(Massive thanks to Swordie your knowledge and assistance was so helpful and we couldn’t have had the success without your info…I hope your trip in a couple of weeks is just as awesome if not better)

Edited by Poddy Trapper

Ahhhhhhhh yes boys thats an awesome report and I love your pics of going in after em :yahoo: I am so glad you had a great first experience at the lake as it is one of my favourite spots to fish and the scenery is just amazing.

I am so glad I could help you out on your first trip and maybe next year we can all go together for a week of absolute mayhem.

Thanks for the update on day one :1badmood: I was hanging out for your report and it just made me sleep a little less every day :074:

I still dont know why I only go once a year but its a pretty long haul for even a couple of days but we will be there next sunday and hopefully emulate some of your fine captures.

Those bass look in peak condition and after many years of travelling to Glenbawn I know that even 10lb gear gets a belting.A small tip would be to upgrade your rod as well and a 2 to 5kg stick will show em whos boss.

I have a new black mamba which I will test for the first time on bass mated to a 3000 daiwa tierra and with a light tip and low down grunt should be able to monster the big boys out of the timber.

Cheers Stewy

P.S Thats a top "Golden" you got Coyote :yahoo:

Awesome work Poddy and Coyote :thumbup: . 63 bass in 2 days is an awesome result! gotta love fishing the dams when the fish start to warm up! Unfortunate about no bass taking surface lures (still with that many bass i wouldnt complain)

I can tell you those 50cm models are increadible!

I knew from the Day 1 text message that you buggers were going to have a ball and the report confirms my suspicions! :yahoo:

Well done fellas. Some very nice bass in that lot, and the 'football' shaped yella is a cracker. I would've handed Coyote my spinnerbait and asked him to work it around the depth of the snag for me while he was there! :biggrin2:

Don't tell me you didn't take any photos of the Stratos on the water while you were there? See you both when you hit the South Coast next. :thumbup:

Cheers

Skip

Thanks boys....cracking trip...

Stewy you will cleean up in a few weeks time....hope surface fires up too, that would just about top it off i reckon

I didn't see BassBoys pic request of the stratos on the lake until I got back....will try and take one soon and upload....Hodgey looking forward to fishing in Tuross again soon...its been too long....

Great report. I am now more excited about our trip. Good onya Coyote jumping in after your lure, Geoff did the first year we were up there we could see it just 6foot under.

Well Stewy have a good look at that plate of food that's what I am expecting ;):thumbup:

Hopefully we can supply a great report with plenty of pictures when we get back.

Great report. I am now more excited about our trip. Good onya Coyote jumping in after your lure, Geoff did the first year we were up there we could see it just 6foot under.

Well Stewy have a good look at that plate of food that's what I am expecting ;):thumbup:

Hopefully we can supply a great report with plenty of pictures when we get back.

Cans of steak and vegetables look ok in a picture as well :yahoo: with toast of course.

Cya on Sunday.

Cheers Stewy

What an awesome trip lads.....those fish look mighty healthy. Did you catch the large Yella amongst the Bass? I love fishing the impoundments this time of year, pity I am stuck in the office :1badmood: .

I always find it a little embarrassing launching an aluminium boat beside the sea of glass boats at the impoundments, but I always remind myself that it is the results that count....although I was looking forward to an action picture of your Stratos. Coyote could have taken a picture whilst he was swimming beside the boat :biggrin2: , I will just have to wait.

PK