Shoal bay fishing spots and tips?

matt1119

Hi Raiders,

This is my first post here! Hope you can get me an answer for my question.

I am going up to Shoal bay on the weekend and will probably stay there foew 3 days.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on fishing at Shoal Bay? any good landbase fishing spot recommendation?

Is the big Jew fish around that area this time of the year? Are there any good spot for fishing as well?

Thank you in advance!

Matt

Hi Raiders,

I am going up to Shoal bay on the weekend and will probably stay there foew 3 days.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on fishing at Shoal Bay? any good landbase fishing spot recommendation?

Is the big Jew fish around that area this time of the year? Are there any good spot for fishing as well?

Thank you in advance!

Matt

Hi Raiders,

Thank you in advance!

Matt

G'day Matt

Great spot, Shoal Bay.

Haven't been there for years but used to go a lot.

First thing: Watch out for the marine Parks and make sure you don't fish in them. It could be a very expensive weekend otherwise. You can find out where they are on line.

The fishing possiblities are endless but here are a few; depends whether or not you have a boat too.

Squid and garfish in the weed beds at Shoal Bay itself. A good start would be the wharf there.

Great beach fishing on the Ocean side. I used to stay at One Mile Beach shich is about a 10 minute drive south. Plenty of salmon, tailor, bream whiting and flathead. Oh, and Jewies, although I only ever got small ones. You just need to fish in or on the edge of the deep gutters.

The rocks at Tomaree Head, the headland on the ocean side of shoal bay, are legendary. Unless you are young though, the walk over the hill and to the fishing ledges is tough. You can catch all sorts of game fish there although the water is a bit cold this time of year. Probably snapper and Salmon at the moment.

Nelson Bay breakwall usually has something biting. Expect to lose gear though. It's tough, rock country.

Could be a good idea to book a charter if you have the funds.

Bye for now.

Reeltired.

The breakwalls good at the marina got a good king there a week back. The islands out the front are good if you have a boat. Also the islands in the middle of the bay are apparently good for jewies (havn't caught one there myself though)But when you get into town ask one of the local tackle stores they where very helpful to me with info when I was last up there and they will give you some good info of whats biting and where.

Cheers,

Joe