Fishing Lake Eucumbene

Guest twitchie

Guest twitchie

I had a late call from a mate11am who had nothing to do. Asked what i was up to nothing was thinking of going to Eucumbene ok he said so i quickly packed the old forby and asked permission to go. We arrived there about three thirty it was quite hot for up there we had a cup of tea and watched the water for a while and prepared our rods I had two with me one i put a small38 mm green gold blade on the other i put a 41mm suspending minnow .My mate set up a spin rod and his fly rod he is a very good fly fisherman usually kicks my butt .We decided to fish a steep bank with blades as i had done ten days before with a great result hooking 9 fish landing 6 to 1&3/4 kg five rainbows one brown we worked hard for a few hour for nothing 1hit and one follow .it was still to early to fish the flats where the water is rising over new ground .A feed was in order as there was nothing for us to do for a while .After our meal a cup of tea we were off we had to walk about 500m to where we would fish for the rest of the day/night my mate with his fairy wand and me with my spin rod and a bag of lures .I left my mate in a small bay where we had seen a good brown taking insects off the top of the water i thought he would be a sure thing to get some nice fish as he usually does .i fished along the bank for about two hours fishing 41mm hard bodies in green and yellow which i had painted my self i managed two under size fish by this time i had returned to my mate who was very persistent still for no fish and about twenty fly changes.We sat on a log for a while as the sun starting set we both walked the bank casting at small rises for no luck we decided that they were just not on the chew today we split up and started heading back to the car my mate fishing the fly where he could and i was casting blind in the near dark i made a cast along side a piece of timber in the water cranked the handle about four turns pause whack i was on the fish came cartwheeling out of the water up and down around the log i got him back thanks to braid landed him a beautiful 2plus kilo brown sorry left the camera in the car