Burrinjuck Yellas

iMick

Last weekend Cheder and I hit one of our favourite fishing grounds.... Burrinjuck.

The plan was simple, find the spawning yella in the shallows, and hope that 70cm female kicker was in amongst them.

We fished the Sat morning, Sat arvo, and the Sun morning for 10 solid fish, 6 for me, and 4 for Che :) I picked Che at the post with three in 10 minutes, leaving him scratching his head and changing his lure, but he come good, and we both done alright.

A measure of success is also how many Jackalls you can NOT lose... we drew on 2 each. A bit of friendly competition is good for ya, but we both know, it's not really a measure of skill, it's right snag at the right time.

We had a really hot bite on the Saturday arvo, with 6 caught in 2 hours, we couldn't stop for a photo, so we took a group shot at the end.

We had a request for a bag of Yellas for the table, something we don't often provide, so on the Saturday evening we collected a live tank full of six, and our mates picked out the best two and four swam away to freedom.

All fish caught on either a TN60 or a Mask Vibe. All fish in excellent condition.

Good clean fun out on the water, with plenty of action to keep us entertained.

Mick

post-10586-075815500 1321424265_thumb.jpg

post-10586-018500400 1321424275_thumb.jpg

post-10586-017063000 1321424288_thumb.jpg

post-10586-020543000 1321424301_thumb.jpg

post-10586-054034500 1321424321_thumb.jpg

post-10586-076184800 1321424338_thumb.jpg

post-10586-065008000 1321424349_thumb.jpg

Looks like awesome fun boys well done....up until last weekend I'd never seen a yella but I can see why people chase and target them...how are they on the tooth? I've heard they get very fatty...

I must say fishing only with Jackalls could make for a very expensive session though should you hit a lot of snags....and know doub you would cause I'd reckon you be chuck right into the snags to find em....

Looks like awesome fun boys well done....up until last weekend I'd never seen a yella but I can see why people chase and target them...how are they on the tooth? I've heard they get very fatty...

I must say fishing only with Jackalls could make for a very expensive session though should you hit a lot of snags....and know doub you would cause I'd reckon you be chuck right into the snags to find em....

Yeah was fun mate. I've never eaten a Yella, or even killed one. I will one day. They do look fatty but I'd say that could possibly improve eating qualities.

It can be expensive, but they just work so well. If you don't stop the slow roll, surprisingly then don't snag too often, it's when you pause too long eg. while mucking around with the electric then you'll start snagging up. That Tungsten nose is well tuned to position the trebles up high.

Most of the fish we usually catch in Burrinjuck are caught in the heavy timber or the shallow flats, but we found them suspending in a tight school next to a submerged living tree, in the bottom half of the water column. We just kept working the different angles of the mark, and kept getting whacked. They really came on after 5pm, first cast me on, first cast Che whack and a miss, a really hot bite.

90% of the fish we caught on the weekend came from the same school in no more than 10' of water.

Mick

the humble yellowbelly, sounds like a great trip fellas with some awesome fish in there! But loosing jackalls, that breaks my heart, how could you do it..... why are they so good at catching fish! I noticed the water seems fairly green/brown in colour, the dam quite warm?

A top weekend of fishing cant ask for much more weather looked perfect for it too

Weather was tops, hot though.

the humble yellowbelly, sounds like a great trip fellas with some awesome fish in there! But loosing jackalls, that breaks my heart, how could you do it..... why are they so good at catching fish! I noticed the water seems fairly green/brown in colour, the dam quite warm?

Was fun mate. Don't you worry it breaks my heart too. I don't know why.... but they work very very well. The temps were 19-23 degrees. Hot bite on 23 degrees.

Mick

Edited by iMick

Mick,

You should have seen you Bassboy's reaction when he lost his first jackal to a flooded fence at Lake Glenbawn in January this year.....lots of cursing :ranting2: and I reckon a hidden tear :biggrin2: .

Those yellas look fat and healthy, I must try Burrinjuck as I am working out of Canberra at the moment.

PS. I have found that using the spot lock function of the iPilot on my Minn Kota has significantly reduced the instances of 'electric motor' induced lure loss.

Paul

Some very nice yellas there Mick and most of them would be prime table-quality fish. Once they up around 50cm I reckon they are too muddy but that's just a personal preference. Great to read the water temp was so high. That should encourage the 'green fish' to come out and play too. I'm heading of to Lake Mulwala in 2 weeks. Jackalls and spinnerbaits are already loaded in the tackle box! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ian

Looks like you had a great time,well done on sime nice fish!!

Thanks mate, Jewies soon!

Mick,

You should have seen you Bassboy's reaction when he lost his first jackal to a flooded fence at Lake Glenbawn in January this year.....lots of cursing :ranting2: and I reckon a hidden tear :biggrin2: .

Those yellas look fat and healthy, I must try Burrinjuck as I am working out of Canberra at the moment.

PS. I have found that using the spot lock function of the iPilot on my Minn Kota has significantly reduced the instances of 'electric motor' induced lure loss.

Paul

Mate it burns losing a Jackal. Second last trip there we fished them with 4lb leaders, and unbelievably I didn't lose not one.... Che lost about 4-5 hopping them around, silly 4lb leader = hurt wallet. This trip 10lb leaders was our choice. Spot lock was fantastic on the weekend. The sound of success is hearing that rattle when you've pulled a Jackal out of a stubborn snag.

Nice work fellas yet again...

I must come with you one day, looks tops...

Congrats!!!

Thanks mate, you'll have a ball there.

Some very nice yellas there Mick and most of them would be prime table-quality fish. Once they up around 50cm I reckon they are too muddy but that's just a personal preference. Great to read the water temp was so high. That should encourage the 'green fish' to come out and play too. I'm heading of to Lake Mulwala in 2 weeks. Jackalls and spinnerbaits are already loaded in the tackle box! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I reckon you're right, a fish around 40cm has plenty of meat, and not too muddy looking. The shallows are the spots where the water temp gets influenced by the air temp or direct sunlight IMO. The thermometer on a sounder will only take a reading from the top most part of the water column. I'd love to have a 10' thermometer (something I'll get round to making one day) to get a proper temp reading. Try get your hands on some 95 Trannies or 95 Threadies or Doozers for Mulwala, give them something to eat :) I reckon they would go off down there.

Have a ball mate.

Che's brother Casey will a cracker Mulwala Cod, something to gee you up for the trip :)

post-10586-034905600 1321483624_thumb.jpeg

yes, its my brother that seems to be the face of murray cod lol

Indeed.

Oh imagine on fly!...........................

Well done mate- some top fish and great photos!.

Thank you.

Some fishos chase Cod on fly. Some heavy Cod out there though, 10-12wt maybe.

Mick