Reel Service

Big Berg

Hi Guys

I lent my Penn 760 Slammer to my brother a few months ago and have just received it back. :thumbup:

It seems as if the reel has been dunked in salt water because it tends to seize up once in a while and especially under heavier load. :ranting2:

Would anyone know if this will be an expensive fix or would I be better off buying a new reel. I thnk new Slammer reels go for $100 or so.

If it is worth saving can someone can point me to someone who services reels around the Blacktown NSW area.

I would attempt it myself but I have never serviced a reel and don't really have much time to spare (my kids usually take up all my time).

thanks

Hi Guys

I lent my Penn 760 Slammer to my brother a few months ago and have just received it back. :thumbup:

It seems as if the reel has been dunked in salt water because it tends to seize up once in a while and especially under heavier load. :ranting2:

Would anyone know if this will be an expensive fix or would I be better off buying a new reel. I thnk new Slammer reels go for $100 or so.

If it is worth saving can someone can point me to someone who services reels around the Blacktown NSW area.

I would attempt it myself but I have never serviced a reel and don't really have much time to spare (my kids usually take up all my time).

thanks

Most tackle stores will service the reel for you and will probably cost you around $20 but its hard

to tell whether its worth while until you pull it apart .

Most tackle stores will service the reel for you and will probably cost you around $20 but its hard

to tell whether its worth while until you pull it apart .

I just got a call from my local tackle store in regards to the servicing of my reel.

He said that one of the bearings and gears need to be replaced. He said that the reels works fine and it will still handle fish. The only problem is that it will have a knotch at certain points coz of the gear. He ball parked a fee of approx $70 (depending on the price of the gear) :thumbdown:

He thinks its worth fixing but I can get the same reel for $99 at another shop.

With that in mind it looks like I will be buying a new reel and maybe use the other one as spare parts.

• 3 months later...

I just got a call from my local tackle store in regards to the servicing of my reel.

He said that one of the bearings and gears need to be replaced. He said that the reels works fine and it will still handle fish. The only problem is that it will have a knotch at certain points coz of the gear. He ball parked a fee of approx $70 (depending on the price of the gear) :thumbdown:

He thinks its worth fixing but I can get the same reel for $99 at another shop.

With that in mind it looks like I will be buying a new reel and maybe use the other one as spare parts.

have you had the reel fixed yet?