Middle Harbour question

helliconia

Since the missus has been getting sick of staring at the same scenery in the Hawkesbury and coming home fishless, she convinced me to give Middle Harbour a go on Sunday. Unfortunately she also loves her weekend sleep-ins so we didn't get to Tunks until about noon.

I've been reading lots of reports and storing info in my head so I knew to head to The Spit bridge for live bait but everywhere I looked there were "No anchoring in the channel" signs. Since there was a fairly stiff breeze drifting and berleying wasn't working so well for us on the slack tide. Also the north shore was pretty thick with shore fishermen and I didn't want to be rude and sit in front of them dodging sinkers :074:

I also tried Middle Head for squid but got a donut.

Can someone point me at the right spots around there for yakka's and squid, and whether you anchor or drift for them?

PS Drifted around the cliff walls at Balgowlah for a few undersized snapper and dropped a good sized Tailor on a blade off the point north of Sugarloaf Bay. That's me fishing... lots of close calls and nothing for dinner. My partner did suggest we'd lose lots of weight if we ate only what we caught :biggrin2:

Anchor for the yakka, and burly with bread and/or bits of pilly. When they're aggressively feeding, either bait up some bait jigs (I like to cut them into half with 3 hooks each), or tiny sinker and a size 12 long shank hook with some bait of any kind.

Usually bait will hang around an artificial light source, that's why the bridge works well.

Mick

Thanks for the reply Mick. but anchor where? Like I said, all through the channel on either side of the bridge were signs saying No Anchoring. Also the north side was thick with fisherman, is the south side where you go? Are we talking about that little bay with the moored boats east of the bridge?

Just a heads up you are not allowed to stop and anchor at the spit bridge at all. Just because you've gotten away with it doesn't make it legal, saying its alright because you haven't been busted yet even though there are multiple signs saying you can't is just stupid...

Ben

Just a heads up you are not allowed to stop and anchor at the spit bridge at all. Just because you've gotten away with it doesn't make it legal, saying its alright because you haven't been busted yet even though there are multiple signs saying you can't is just stupid...

Ben

Yeah knowing my luck I'd be the one they handed the fine to :074:

When I went through there I was checking out the spots in between the private wharves on the north west side. They looked like good yakka and squid spots. There was a bit too much breeze to drift there without hitting someones boat at the time.

So I had a day off today, and in my enthusiasm I decided that despite the crappy weather report I'd hit the harbour.

Launched from Tunks at 6am (I know a bit late) and drifted around the north side of the spit for 30 mins throwing squid jigs and berleying for yakka's - nothing.

Moved to Clontarf Pool, same result. Tried the island at Balmoral, no luck there and even tried drifting a little off the Balmoral Jetty for nothing also.

Hence, I am going to stick to servo prawns and squid for bait and give up on my Kingy dream :074: