Looking for a light spinning rod and reel

Howdoweplaythis

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a light spinning rod and reel for SPs for around $150. I was thinking 2-4kg 7foot. I've never bought my own rod and reel before so i've got no clue what im looking for!

Any recommendations will be welcomed.

Thanks

Edited by Howdoweplaythis

don't pay $140 for the raider

but the Shimano Raider Soft Plastics Series 611 Bream Fishing Rod looks really good

meant for 1-9gm lure weight, i don't like the old raider because it was 3-10g casting weight, can't flick light jigheads. so i bought T curve but now with the above rod, its cheap, 120ish and its mean for these small jigheads.

Edited by Catchin Jack
non sponsor removed

G'day Howdo,

What's been said is correct in a sense, that to get an outfit (rod and reel) for soft plastic fishing, a lot of people spend around $250 on average as a start.

BUT... it's not necessary to spend that much to successfully get into soft plastic fishing and enjoy yourself. I've seen combos around with Shimano Catana rods and a matched reel for around $150 and they or something like it will catch you plenty of fish and be great fun to learn to fish plastics with.

Sure, like a lot of people I spend lots of $$ on fishing gear but don't let anyone tell you it's mandatory. Better gear will perform better and last longer but not everyone wants to spend heaps, particularly when starting out.

Head into your local tackle shop and have a look at the combos they have. You're on the right track looking for a 7' rod in the 2-4kg range. Make sure it's a high carbon content rod too (fishing plastics on a fibreglass or 'crystal tip' style rod is all but impossible... no sensitivity). Make sure you get the reel loaded with 'braid' (Fireline is probably the best value choice) of around 6lb... You only need one of the 125yd spools but use some mono backing under it.

Make sure the reel is small... a '1000' or '2500' size in Shimano or a '2000' size in Daiwa (or an equivalent size in other brands.

And make sure that the rod and reel are a reputable brand... Daiwa, Shimano, Abu, Plueger, Berkley etc... even their value end gear reflects on their reputations so they make it to a pretty good quality for the price.

The other option is to try to pick up a better outfit second hand.

Good luck, Slinky

BUT... it's not necessary to spend that much to successfully get into soft plastic fishing and enjoy yourself. I've seen combos around with Shimano Catana rods and a matched reel for around $150 and they or something like it will catch you plenty of fish and be great fun to learn to fish plastics with.

Good luck, Slinky

Bugger ... pipped at the post again by Tony :biggrin2:

This would have been my recommendation as well. The Catana outfits usually come on special every year around this time and should fall well into your budget. If you're just kicking off the soft plastic addiction they will be well suited to the task and you can upgrade later on.

Cheers

HODGEY