Thommos Trout Heaven

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

Been ages since my last report, so hit thommos on the weekend to see if i could crack my pb trout. Got there and it was blowing 30knots directly into the shore :thumbdown:

looked better weather for surfing :biggrin2:

Any way there was a now distinct dirty water line just off the shore so i tied on a 80mm slick rig and retreived along this line. As i moved around the eastern bank i had a follow from a huge rainbow, then a bump from another trout.

Then as i pulled the lure towards the dirty water it was smashed by a thommos 'monster' :thumbup:

It ran out into the deeper water pulling a heavy drag, but despite its best efforts, I soon landed this monster buck brown of 60cm :yahoo:

post-2475-095108800 1322445348_thumb.jpg

He would soon adorn my esky !

Later on the weather had cleared, so i ventured around to the far bay to try my luck, it did not take long for my mx40 to be hammered be a leaping rainbow, that promply through the hooks on the second jump :thumbdown:

This lure was working a treat and it seamed the local bows could not resist the little brown trout.

Another hard take and after a brief scream from the steez the hooks pulled again :ranting2:

Then finally the hooks stayed into another supercharged rainbow which realy turned on the power and after a very long fight , i beach this little gem around 40cm

post-2475-005929200 1322445464_thumb.jpg

I revieved and released here and headed home, looking forward to trout for dinner

cheers

Kael

awesome fish mate, bet they would have given you a nice fight. But, most importantly... sexy outfit! :1yikes::thumbup:

cheers mate, yeh i am pretty proud of it

Rod is a loomis SHR821 pimped with titanium sics and $60 of the best cork money can buy. she now weighs just 98 grams and has serious power (she is rated 6-10lb).

Reel is a brand new steez 2508 loaded with 8lb super PE.

unfortunatly he did not put up much of a fight (he had an empty stomach), but that feisty little rainbow took some serious stopping!

Lovely marked brown, I always rate rainbows as the mor eballistic of fish their steelhead roots I suppose big browns go doggo try to bury you in the nearest snag but I have seen them in the rivers go nuts and jump! Anyways nice effort!!!! PS wheres the fly rod!!!!! :whistling:

the fly rod was pulled out for a couple of hours, but not success. I am much more comfortable fishing rivers with the long wand. Having said that the guy next to me nailed 3 in 3hours on the fly using a traditional 2 wet fly rig (sort of a black coachman i guess?). so i need to brush up. However it was hard to argue with the ruthless efficiency of a mx40, and one stage i got three strikes in three casts

Guest hawkesbass

very nice fish :thumbup: looking forward to my first fishing trip to tcd on friday with a mate who has been there a few times so i wont be a total rookie to trout fishing :biggrin2:

very nice fish :thumbup: looking forward to my first fishing trip to tcd on friday with a mate who has been there a few times so i wont be a total rookie to trout fishing :biggrin2:

Cool all you bream lures will work, however go for the thinner profiles (xrap, mx40, sx40 ect). Keep the retreive smooth and slow, they will happily smack a moving lure. Don't be afraid to throw some big lures around, there is some monsters in TCD.

Guest hawkesbass

Cool all you bream lures will work, however go for the thinner profiles (xrap, mx40, sx40 ect). Keep the retreive smooth and slow, they will happily smack a moving lure. Don't be afraid to throw some big lures around, there is some monsters in TCD.

may be staying into the night may even get the bass lures out and try to get one on a jitterbug/breaker style lure too cross two goals off the list first one being a trout(any) and second goal of a trout on the surface thanks for the advice.