Taking my chance on Sunday

cameldownunder

After attending as a viewer my son's sporting activities on saturday, and having a few lures to test, I took my chance on windy Sunday and did touch the water at 2pm.

I have installed an app on my android phone, which suggested it would be good fishing time.Looking at the tide and previous rain, i doubted. But hey, I really wanted to test the lures.

So I did set up Skirt, Spinner, Popper and Surface rapala, just behind grotto point, in blazing wind.

And then got past grotto point, down wash-away beach, over to quarantine, out past old-man's, down south, back up, and around the harbor reef, past middle head, to pack up things close to the nudist beach.

All this with no Success (Except a plastic bag, that got hooked by the skirt). That's ok. Wanted to see if I was capable to lure with 4 rods out by myself.

Question that arises, and might improve my chances:

On a run-out tide, is the exit of the harbor the right place to fish?

Is the weather/weather still too cold for Top-water fishing?

Did all the rain on Saturday ruin the fishing?

Did I touch the water too late, and it is imperative to be out there before 8am ?

What is the best speed for trolling?

Of course the day could not be complete without:

cruisers passing past me at 4m distance, when i have the lines out.

people flying past me before/under/past spit bridge in the 4knots zone

boats pushing in front of the queue at the ramp (inbound and outbound)

thanks for the report. I also had no success (in Pittwater) yesterday. I've also experienced some really, really disconcerting behaviour at Roseville ramp on weekends too. Its really put me off that ramp - that and the fact that its difficult to launch solo there (especially under pressure of 5 waiting boats..:-) ).

And a funny experience once in the four knot zone at the spit.... I was in the process of being overtaken by another boat, when I got pulled up for speeding by Maritime (no fine, just a warning). I was doing 5.5 knots (I had the GPS on) and the boat going around me must have been doing 10!

I think you are game having four rods out trolling on your own. Getting them out there is the easy part. Bringing in a decent fish without getting all the other lines in a mess, whilst drifting towards a marker, reef, other boat, would be my concern. Too much going on! For that reason, I've only ever tried two rods when on my own.

Fryboy

I reckon troll the headlands. Its important to have a mix of topwater lures and divers. Maybe have 2-3 rods out instead of 4 with 2 divers (different colours) and one topwater. This was you are covering all bases and if there are fish around willing to take a lure then your chances are much better. It is ideal to troll early morning and late arvo but there's always a chance during the day. Rain probably slowed things a little also. Keep at it!

start as soon as dawn breaks put the lures out at q point and work past the hat to blue fish run 2x 7 meter deep divers one red and white and one silver and blue you only need two lures keep the popper for any surface action 6kn is a good speed but watch the rod tips they should be vibrating you need to know your run and were the pinicals are or you'll loose lures we stay in about 20 meters

a better run is south head to bondi but again you need to know the run there are pinicals at the dunbar wreak and roser gully and bondi murk that jump up to 5 meters there will be fish at all the headlands but look for fishy water it sort off looks like ruffeled and standing up very hard to explane troll till 9.00am and then the bite will slow down

when you hook up give the donk a little squirt to set the hook and keep going for a double leave the boat in gear pointing straight out to sea if you miss a hook up do a wide circle and rework the patch bonito will hit very big lures and are top fun and good snapper bait

cheers gary