Narrabeen lake

Howdoweplaythis

Can anyone tell me whether the sand removal at the entrance of Narra Lake has been completed yet? It is generally my go to spot for fishing and wanted to learn to use plastics there.

If the entrance is still closed, can anyone advise any good spots for a beginner (land based) to throw around some SPs for a good chance for a flathead or two? I live around the North. I was thinking Roseville bridge or Bobbin Head (although that's only because they're the only other places that spring to mind)

Thanks

Yes, Narra Lake is open again.

It was opened about 2 weeks ago, but closed over again soon after.

The big tides these past few days has opened it up again properly and

is flowing nicely.

It's pretty brown now with all the rain we had in the past week, but should flush

out pretty quickly.

Mate I was there on the Monday late afternoon for the low tide right on sunset, landed 12 Flatties and 1 Bream. The 2 biggest flatties were both over 70cm with several around 50cm. I also had several big bustoffs on my 2kg line that felt significantly larger from the massive headshakes. A lot of the strikes came right after the bait hitting the water, they were in the mood. A bloke before me caught 3 around 50cm and another guy fishing the other side with soft plastics landed over 10 as well, his biggest going 62cm.

We both agreed it was the best fishing at Narabeen Lake we'd ever had. Not sure if the guy was a raider but he was a great chap. We both released the majority of them so they'll still be there. I was using live poddies with a little weight due to the strong current, casting downstream at the weed bed edges and slowly winding in to keep the line tight while the current brought the bait to the flatties lying in ambush facing the current.

post-12934-044760100 1322632864_thumb.jpg

Edited by S&S

I was fishing just down a bit from the lake side of the Ocean St bridge and yes it is definitely open. Don't expect it to be as good as that, I've never enjoyed as much success there before, you should still catch a few though. And please put the big ones back, most of them will be big females laying eggs soon, keep the lake full of quality fish for years to come by letting them breed.

Edited by S&S

Headed down to the lake today. Landed 5 flathead in total. Biggest going 53cm. 3 caught on blades and 2 on SPs. Best day of fishing i've ever had!

Fished the caravan park and woolies bridge. Got busted off with my blade though (but i got it for free anyway)

Will definitely be back soon!

cimg1982a.jpg

Edited by Howdoweplaythis

Wow top fish matey!

Has anyone ever had an success at night for flatties? On SP or Bait?

Or is it only during the day when they are baking in the sun?

M.

Hey mate, i'm quite new to fishing myself so i can only speak from my limited experience. Those 5 fish were caught in the last 2 hours before dusk which also happened to have coincided with the last 2 hours of the runout tide.

Hope that helps

I've caught plenty of flathead at night while targeting bream. While their primary feeding times seem to be dawn and dusk, I think structure, food supply and tides are far more important for targeting flathead in areas of fairly shallow water.