One Big Girl

jaysondanielgraham

This is a photo of my cousin who i went fishing with a couple of months ago. I landed zip for the morning but this is what he caught. Not very happy that he kept the old girl but a great catch. He got it at Burrill Lake (Ulladulla) on a red vibe. She weighed in around 7kgs

post-20633-016413500 1322618881_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaysondanielgraham

Thats a cracker flatty. Truely a fish of a lifetime.

While for some of us its a shame to see such a magnificent specimen taken for the table, It still qualifies as a legal catch and for that reason he has every right to take it. Anything more than that is just an oppinion, and oppinions are just like arses...

This is a photo of my cousin who i went fishing with a couple of months ago. I landed zip for the morning but this is what he caught. Not very happy that he kept the old girl but a great catch. He got it at Burrill Lake (Ulladulla) on a red vibe. She weighed in around 7kgs

MMmmMmMmMm!!! coupla nice fillets there mate! Would have been a great little fight :thumbup:

Musty

Be warned all about the Site Rules and it is legal to catch and keep any flattie that is legal.

Anymore silly posts and the offenders will be removed from the forums.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Admin

Never understood why people get more worked up about keeping big flatties than other fish? Fecundity only increases with size up to a certain point and that holds true for pretty much all species. You never see anyone getting grief for keeping a big snapper or kingy.

Hey Jason

That is the biggest flatty i have seen in a long while.

Its imperitive for the site that the lenght be posted, a truely memourable fish. Ie did it crack the 1 metre mark.

I have been trying for years to crack a 1 metre plus, always so so close but so far away.

Also note the best eating flatties I have ever eaten have been the larger Dusky ones and not the smaller ones. Sand flatties aren't a scratch on duskies.

That would have been one awesome feed.

Swordie, well warned and jumped on quickly, the fellow has posted in good faith.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Hi Jason,

How tall is your cousin? looks like a big fish with a little man. Just kidding.

Cheers, Phil

Never understood why people get more worked up about keeping big flatties than other fish? Fecundity only increases with size up to a certain point and that holds true for pretty much all species. You never see anyone getting grief for keeping a big snapper or kingy.

i often wonder the same

there have been cases up north with the big barra where one said of the camp is saying that keeping the bigger ones can do the fish stocks better as the big girls eat more fingling than they produce and also reduce the amount of fish stock being able to be kept

no to add to that i often wonder with the big fish like this flathead at if released how much longer would it really be around for anyway as no dout that is about as big as these fish grow so one would have to think it must be near the end of it's life anyway

food for thought

i know i can not answer some of these questions but it does get your thinking about when big is too big and where do all the big fish go to die

I am glad to see admin has stepped in on this one.

I think that most people that put posts on this site and consistently catch quality fish have at one time or another kept and killed a fish that they regret.

I will be one to admit that i have kept certain fish that i have later regretted. Like swordfisherman said. He has kept a legal flathead. If he had more than one of this size ( or over 70cm ) than maybe some cause for concern, and really if there was a group of three fisherman and they had one each they would be still be following the rules.

I will admit the first dusky of this size i caught was kept for a feed too. She had taken a live bait, swallowed deep and bleeding. Once on the cleaning table i did feel a bit guilty and said i would release flatties of this size from now on. Not that its the law or should be frowned upon. after all we are not the scientists doing the research to keep our waterways sustainable.

And just to make you feel a bit better.

I actually think there is alot more flatties around of this size than most of us know of, at least in the south coast estuaries. I have been targeting jewfish in the south coast estuaries for a few years now. We catch flatties of this size on a regular basis on live baits aimed at jewfish and i do believe there are plenty there. I think the big ones come out to play with the jewies at night. :biggrin2:

Im not trying to offend anyone here. Just sayin its is his choice to take this fish.

Dave

shut up

Hey Stewy, not to play devils advocate but are you sure this chap quoted the right thing to say "shut up" to? He didn't mean to direct it towards people complaining about keeping the catch? Seems an exceedingly stupid thing to say to one of the bosses, but if it was aimed at you then good job!

Edited by abecedarian

shut up

Can't believe he has made it here for this long. Can I ban him too? Please.. He is obviously dumb. We should make a section for tool of the month. I will sponsor it. He wins no contest. Nice fish that is the best flatty for ages and well earned. Been trying for ages to get one at 1m. Keep the posts coming.

Edited by cant catch any