What do Ido with the boat

cameldownunder

Hi

It was already a struggle to get the breaking cables replaced with the boat sitting on the trailer.

This weekend or the next, I would like to do some minor work on the trailer - sand it, paint it -

I might ask a very dumb question, but what do I do with the boat in the mean time?

I dont want to go to roseville ramp, with all the gear needed (sure to forget something), block one side of the pontoon with the parked boat and then get with the freshly painted trailer in the water.

I have a 5m aluminium boat.

Should I find 2 old matresses and few wooden poles and let the girl have a sleep on that, held up by the poles while I do the work? Or something simples.

Hi

It was already a struggle to get the breaking cables replaced with the boat sitting on the trailer.

This weekend or the next, I would like to do some minor work on the trailer - sand it, paint it -

I might ask a very dumb question, but what do I do with the boat in the mean time?

I dont want to go to roseville ramp, with all the gear needed (sure to forget something), block one side of the pontoon with the parked boat and then get with the freshly painted trailer in the water.

I have a 5m aluminium boat.

Should I find 2 old matresses and few wooden poles and let the girl have a sleep on that, held up by the poles while I do the work? Or something simples.

Hi,Grab half a dozen old car tyres,put two at the back side by side and start to push the boat off,keep the strap on though.Keep pushing and placing the tyres along the centre line letting out the strap as you go but look out because there will come a point when the front of the trailer will lift of the ground and the boat will want to roll off.Getting on is the reverse,the front will lift up as you start to winch on.Its only a one man job but a mate makes it a bit easier..Hope this helps.

Regards Stu.

Edited by wher'd all the fish go

i did this to an 18ft cruise craft years ago but i took off the motor first it is very easy to do on and off in the back yard getting it back on dont hook the trailer on the car to wind it up the trailer will move under the boat

cheers

jim

Yep. this sounds crazy. I thought so too. I did exactly what these are saying to a 525 stacer with motor on and its alot easier than you would think. Watch your sounder transducer and anything else at the transom that might touch the ground first.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I just push mine off the trailer onto flat grass. Doesn't hurt the boat, just leaves some minor damage on the lawn. Definitely wind it back on with the trailer detached from the car and definitely do it with the help of a mate. Much safer.

Did mine a few years ago. its a Caribbean 18ft fibreglass job. easy to get off but a a little more difficult to winch back on. not a bad job but a few extra hands definately help... with your alloy hull tyres are the go and you can get them from a tyre place for free!!! easy job to get off as i said and like others mentioned make sure the motor is tilted right up and be careful of the transducer for your sounder. only downside is you have several tyres sitting around after you have finsihed using them.... i got 4x4 tyres for my one as the sidewalls are a lot stiffer than normal car tyres. worked a treat...

Cheers :thumbup: