Mulloway Tracking In Georges River

mattyt

Following the recent "Tagged Jew" thread created by Matt, i thought it would be good to start up a new thread where people can discuss the project behind the original thread.

Just to summarise, Matt caught a tagged jewfish in the Georges River a few weeks ago. The fish had a laceration which was the result of the incomplete healing of a wound from where a pinger or acoustic tag was implanted in the fish. The wound still had some stitches in it, and was closed, however the skin and outer layers of tissue has not completely healed over. There was also a small amount of blood seepage around the wound, which was probably the result of stress on the wound during the landing.

At any rate, the fish survived the landing as has been tracked since. It spent some time out in the Bay after Matt released it, and then migrated 11km up river where it was last tracked on the 16th of June between Salt Pan and Moon Bay. It is now 20mm bigger than when we dit the surgery, so it is definitely eating and growing.

At any rate the wound will heal completely. Usual healing times are around 7 days (we have verified this by holding fish until the wound heals), but unfortunately the stictching on this fish was not as tight as it could of been. The wound has partially healed as a result of a surgical "super" glue (same as that used in hospitals and vet practices). We use this glue just in case the stitches do not work as they should, so the wound is held together, but unfortunately healing is not as efficient. Due to the potential for someone to get a hold of and abuse the pictures, i have asked that they be removed. We take as much care as possible with the animals, and have Animal Care and Ethics Approval for our proceedures.

A great deal of our research here at FAMER is aimed at enhancing recreational fishing. We have been responsible for the Georges Rvier stockings, and are currently finishing off the first stage of our tracking results. I would be happy to disucss stocking, tracking, mulloway movements or any aspect of our research with any interested fishers on this new thread. If any jewie fisher wishes to get involved with our stocking work, please dont hesitate to email (mattytaylor@unsw.edu.au).FAMER Mulloway Website

Hi, i'm a new member a just posted a topic relating to big jewies in Botany Bay/ Georges River. I'm interested in participating in your stocking/ tracking program and would like to learn as much about this species in this waterway as possible. I mainly fish soft plastics and release most fish caught.

Kev:

sned your email and phone number to mattytaylor@unsw.edu.au, and i will get in touch-

I can tell you how the fish move in response to day and night and moons, but i have to keep fishing spots of individual fishers secret-

Will be in touch!

Cheers

Matt

Hi, i'm a new member a just posted a topic relating to big jewies in Botany Bay/ Georges River. I'm interested in participating in your stocking/ tracking program and would like to learn as much about this species in this waterway as possible. I mainly fish soft plastics and release most fish caught.

53737[/snapback]

Howdy.... was nice to meet you the other day Matt.

Hopefully we can come up trumps on some good numbers of fish over the next few months to help you out as much as possible. As swoffa said, i urge everyone to get involved.

Cheers,

Andrew.

hi all,

Thanks for the fantastic response both on this website but mostly by email.

as i said, i am still crunching the data for the first stage of my mulloway tracking work at the moment. Many have expressed an interest in this data, and i will most probably have it written up within a week or two.

I have collected all the email addresses of those who have provided them so far and will email it out to them when done. However, if you have expressed interest but have not given me your email, send it too mattytaylor@unsw.edu.au and i will add you too the mailing list-

Once again if you are interested in collecting samples (anal fin spines) for the project give me an email as well.

Keep catching those jewies......

Cheers,

Matt

Gday Kev,

Unfortunately we have no plans to expand into the Hawkesbury at the moment-

Thanks for the offer!

Cheers,

Matt

If this is conducted in the Hawkesbury in the future i could definately assist this study. Let us know  :biggrin2:

54058[/snapback]

Guest hottuna
Gday Kev,

Unfortunately we have no plans to expand into the Hawkesbury at the moment-

Thanks for the offer!

Cheers,

Matt

54079[/snapback]

I`m in! sounds exciting. Matt just fired off an email to you.

Daniel