Downrigger Positioning

Dfishin

I am going to be fitting a downrigger to my boat. As i am only fitting one downrigger and sometimes fish alone I am wondering if anyone with experience with down riggers prefers the downrigger on the drivers side of the boat or the opposite side ? Strange and basic Question i know but want to get it right the first time as it involves drilling holes into a near brand new boat.

Hey mate,

I'm not sure what your boat setup is like, but this response is based on the layout of my side console.

I have downriggers on both sides, but find the one on the drivers side more convenient. If I see something on the depth sounder, I can quickly raise (or lower) the bomb without leaving the helm.

Your preference may be different depending on your boat layout.

Thanx Lure n Fly

My boat is a 6.2 m half cab. I mainly use it for offshore fishing. I am setting up the downrigger to use in the fresh for trout but have bought a big enough one to also use outside on the reefs for kingies aswell. I was thinking drivers side myself as this is the best side to fight fish when and run lines when fishing alone.

Thanx for the reply Dave

dave do'nt drill holes i sell a mount that slips into a rod holder i run two downriggers out the sides if i was fishing solo i use the rodholder just behind the drivers seat so its close and i can drive the boat and fight the fish and wind the downrigger up without moving for $50.00 i'll drill the holes in it for you as well one uther advantage is it can be removed quickly and got out off the way when you have a big king on cheers gary

Agree that the drivers side is the closest position (no arguement), but find that having the unit on the port side is easier to observe from the helm, only have to turn around 90 degrees to observe it rather than swivel the head around nearly 180 degrees to make sure all is OK. Having a side console I also find the path to the rod is clearer on the port side - as I dont need to get around the drivers seat to get at the d/rigger and rod. Just little things, but have found this set up more comfortable over time. Its down to preference I reckon.

Cheers Blood Knot

dave do'nt drill holes i sell a mount that slips into a rod holder i run two downriggers out the sides if i was fishing solo i use the rodholder just behind the drivers seat so its close and i can drive the boat and fight the fish and wind the downrigger up without moving for $50.00 i'll drill the holes in it for you as well one uther advantage is it can be removed quickly and got out off the way when you have a big king on cheers gary

Garry

I have just been doin a bit more looking and found this option. I like this idea and will definitely be goin this way. As for the holes, i can manage that as i am a carpenter and have done alot of work on my boats in the past. But i am very interested in your rod holder mount option. Is it a rod holder type to suit 30 degree holder with just a flat plate to take the downrigger base. how should i contact you to find out more.

Thanx Dave

you've hit the nail on the head dave 30 degree 316stainless tube with a 6mm flat plate on top as for drilling the holes as slow a speed as you can and use trefalex for lube and do'nt stop as stainless workhardens if you stuff it up it will be undrillable or very hard to say the least i have two units instock give me a ring on 0438264377 after hours as i can'nt hear my phone at work[half deaf] cheers gary0438264377 the pic shows a heavet duty rod holder as well

post-6655-099980400 1322993314_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie007

i have my downrigger mid way along the left side of the boat so while downrigging i kick my feet up on the passengers seat that way i have a view to the front and rear plus im relaxed :biggrin2: