Who owns a low profile bait caster?

Hey Raiders, just wonering who out there owns a low profile bait caster and exactly how do you wash or clean it?

It seems everyone i ask all tell me completely different things. Some lock up the drag and take it in the shower with them, others say you shouldnt even ever hose it!

Some say spray Inox, some say never touch Inox???

Just wondering if anyone out there can explain the best way to wash my Curado??? Also If it works for them what general maintenance do they do? In regards to spraying, oiling etc etc.Where do they spray, where do they put the oil that comes with the reel???

Thank you all in advance... :thumbup:

i am the proud owner of an alphas type r and here is what i do.

I give it a light spray with the hose and wipe it down.

As far as oil and grease goes the line winder alsways needs some clean light grease, and the spool bearings benifit from one drop of oil into each bearing.

When it come to the gears a simple clean and fresh grease once a season is plenty.

When it comes to internal bearings i only add new oil, never remove old oil with thinners or such unless the bearing feels not smooth. Even then it is probably best to replace them as they never get that new feel back

cheers

kael

Gday One Armed Fisho,

Kael is spot on with the lube treatment and everyone has slightly different views on washing but here's my own thoughts.

Firstly, ALWAYS wash your reels after fishing, particularly if you've been in salt water. The aim is to remove salt, grime and other contaminants that can and will damage your reel and line over time.

BUT washing the wrong way can actually take some of that crud into the inside of the reel... bad juju!

That's where there is a potential problem with washing with high pressure water. I too, run my reels under a hose or tap but only under a gentle stream of water. I'm also careful to hold the reels in such a way as water isn't running up under spool rims and so on... and in the case of a baitcaster, I let the water run over the spool but not over the spool edges.

It's also worth understanding why doing up the drag on most (but not all) reels is a good idea before rinsing. On most baitcasters (including yours) doing up the drag reduces the chance that water could penetrate between the washers.

After rinsing off your baitcaster, give it a wipe-over with a cloth and set it aside to dry thoroughly before re-lubing. The only thing I'd add is that you might consider different lube for your level wind depending on whether it moves or remains stationary when casting. If it moves during a cast, then the way it runs will effect casting distance so I'd recommend light oil rather than grease. In the case of baitcasters where the level wind is stationary when casting, grease is better as casting distance isn't effected but grease gives better, longer lasting protection.

Cheers, Slinky