Boat Trailer

lukecorcs

Hi Raiders

I have a question about tyre pressure's for your boat trailer. I am moving from Hobart to Sydney next weekend and I will driving up and I will be towing my boat. I have changed the bearings over, filled the buddies with new grease, checked the lights, I have a spare tyre and hub ready to go. The last thing I need to do is check the pressure in the tyres. I am unsure at what pressure I should be running in them for a drive like this. The boat weighs 120kg, the motor 85kg, and about 200kg worth of gear. I think all up on the trailer its between 450kg to 500kg.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

What size are the rims / tyres ???

The tyres are normally stamped with the max pressure. This is not to say that is the correct running pressure but it is a guide.

Subject to the above information , 35 - 40 psi should be OK.

Keep in mind the pressure will build during a long road trip so perhaps start around 35 psi

Geoff

yes 40 psi will be ideal with the extra weight ul be loading the trailer with

Once you get going at highway speeds, stop after a while, and check temperatures. If the tyres aren't more than just warm to the hand, you are all right. If they are too hot to hold your hand on, you would be well advised to bump up the pressures.

You don't want to start with them low, " to let the pressure increase", as that will only happen with increased temp, and the temp and flexing is what will kill a tyre.

regards

Edited by Alastair

40 psi sounds to high to me for both the car and the trailer unless you are running light truck tyres. Best people to get advice from is a tyre place.

If they are normal tyres 32psi will be plenty. Remember a car weights well over 1.5 tonnes and only has 32 psi tyre pressure without a problem. If you are running light truck tyres I think 40 psi will be too little.

Yes, the trailer has light truck tyers on it. I have been running 40psi in my car tyres for years. I currently have bridgestone a/t duelers on at the moment. They have done 30,000kms, and still look new. It got recommended to me to run that much, even I was a bit iffy at first, but the ride and handling is much better. But I was not sure abnout the boat trailer. It says on the side that the max load is 595kg's at 65psi......