Parra River perch

bump73

Went for a quick carp bash down behind Parra leagues club after the storm this afternoon. River was running hard so i found a nice spot where the water was relatively calm and burleyed up with some corn and bread and cast out a couple of unweighted corn baits. Kept getting bites which is really unusual as the only things i usually catch down there are carp which pick up the whole bait and run, or eels which also swallow the bait whole.

After rebaiting my hook about 5 times i decide to strike at the fish as it was biting and managed to hook up. At first i called it for a small carp as it was pretty feisty but on seeing it come to the surface i thought i'd hooked one of the elusive bass. Landed the fish, took a couple of pics then released it and realised the head shape was all wrong for a bass and after searching the internet the only thing that seems to match is a Silver Perch.

Anyone heard of these being caught in the river?

The fish was seemed really healthy and was nice and fat, probably from eating all my burley. I'm thinking if this isn't a one off i'll have to start casting some small lures around the snags whilst i have bait out for the carp..

Oh yeah ended up with 6 eels and no carp but the perch definately made it worthwhile.

Ben

post-14668-080942700 1323629362_thumb.jpg

Good on ya bud,first time ive ever heard of a perch there was it in the top part off the weir or lower where the walk way bridge is?that explians the silver flashes i see every now and then

It was caught in the lower section about 50mt down from the bridge. I don't normally fish that section as i do better with the carp in the top part, might have to fish there more often now :biggrin2:

Ben