Smashed my PB...

the one that got away

all started of catching some fresh bait. Fishing for garfish and other baitfish. Within 30min i had 5 garries in the ice slurry. I dropped ALOT more. I then decided to chase some yakkas and even an odd tailor or two. Another 45min went past i had two tailor going at 32cm and 30cm, and five yakkas in the ice slurry. Went home had some dinner

Packed up my gear, and headed up to the parramatta river. Trek of a walk, but got there. There was a lovely asain couple fishing there, that was more then kind to let me fish next to them. They only arrived 10 minutes before me and had caught a just legal bream. The guy and I were talking and he said he had seen Jewies been caught were we were fishing, i thought it was gonna be a good night! After 10mins they caught another 2 nice bream and my jewies rods were out and the waiting game begins. They caught another 2 nice bream in the space of around 45mins and a decent eel. They left after that, and was only me. I waited 2 hours and nothing, them my bream rod with half a pilchard went off, really good fight, was suprised it was only a 28cm bream. Decided to pack up and go home, i noticed my jewie rod with a yakka on it getting some bite, then it went off. There was only on thought in my mind...JEWIE... i set the hooks and then it snagged me. I free spooled the line, and felt it slowly swim out, then put the reel into gear and bang, brought it in, but there was only dead weight. I shinned my touch down, and it was a MASSIVE bream!

Pulled her up, measured it, 47.5cm! I was stocked. Would have liked the Jewie, but im not complaining. I tired to release her, but she wouldnt swim, i acttualy tried for nearly an hour, but she wouldnt swim. So i decided to take it home, i felt bad, but didnt want to waste the fish. I got home at 1:30am but it was all worth it. Sorry for the long report, ill try post up pictures later!

Cheers, Zac

Edited by the one that got away

i thought you couldn't eat the fish from the parra ?

great report though :)

You can eat fish out of the parra river, I just wouldn't make a habit of it. All the toxins (dioxin etc.) are dose dependent, the more you have the worse you'll be. Conversely, a little fish from there rarely is unlikely to be a problem...

You can eat fish out of the parra river, I just wouldn't make a habit of it. All the toxins (dioxin etc.) are dose dependent, the more you have the worse you'll be. Conversely, a little fish from there rarely is unlikely to be a problem...

Dioxin's accumulate over time in a fish a fish that's over 45 cms is like to be a very old fish and would probably be swimming the harbour at the same time they were pumping agent orange into the harbour.

If you were to read more about what dioxin's do, do a google search of bioaccumulation of dioxins.