Freshwater Luring

Brian

Hi Raiders,

It's been a while since I last posted.

Being out in the north west with all the recent rain, getting to the water has been a bit hazardous. I've been lucky enough to wet a line between floods. During a recent rip to Lake Glenbawn for a social comp we were blessed with fine weather and plenty of fish. About 70 signed up for the comp but, after the social greet on the first night I think the actual fishing numbers were about half that :biggrin2: I took the family along and my young bloke was the winner of the lucky door prize, which was a day in a Pro Bass boat with a local guy, BIll. Well, didn't that get his heart up. Flying about the dam at mack 2+ and in the very short time he had with Bill he really got hooked. All up we landed and released 15 bass, with the best going 43cm. Young Sam won the junior CHamp with highest point score and biggest fish (Bass). A prize of a new rod for his efforts and I now have a very keen fishing buddy.

post-2792-020428000 1323982456_thumb.jpg post-2792-007028200 1323982468_thumb.jpg

With new rod in tow and a new reel for his birthday I took him along to a special spot I have access to. I can't divulge it's location as it is on private property. What I can say is it is on a river and there is water in it :wacko: Unfortunatley many people don't respect the fact that these rivers run through private property and the custodian of this piece of Gods Country is constantly chasing off trespassers who reap all the fish and leave behind a ton or rubbish. He loves to see people enjoy it but simply asks that you seek permission and release the fish and take your rubbish. I think it would be same with many land holders.

So yesterday we hit the bank. I have had success before here and black and purple spinner baits always work well. Just about every cast had a swirl and follow. All up we caught 9 very fat healthy Cod. They were all in the 50-55cm range, which is just undersize but, they give a better account of themselves in the shallows that the bigger fish. It's great to see so many strong young fish in the water. We tunred two very big fish too, with one estimate about 80cm. He'll be there for another day.

post-2792-083788200 1323983049_thumb.jpg post-2792-006027500 1323983059_thumb.jpg post-2792-027301000 1323983072_thumb.jpg

Plenty of smile and the new rod is christened. These are all differnt fish. You can see how one is darker than the rest. He was taken from a hole where there is minimal light due to tree cover.

It's great to get the kids onto fish and these guys hit hard. At one point Sam said to me, Ï don't want to fish this spot, lets move'."I convinced him to keep hitting a pool with a large rock just under the surface. Well, first cast bang he was onto a his best fish.

Here is a pic of my daughters 52cm Silver perch. Taken at Split Rock Dam on shrimp.post-2792-029925900 1323983466_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to a Sydney run soon to chase some kings. After watching Wacko's video of his 132cm King I can't wait.

Cheers All,

Merry Christmas and a safe New Year on the water,

Brian.