Matching Downrigger weights

squidboy

Hello Fellow Raiders,

after purchasing a Scotty 1050 downrigger i was wondering what size downrigger weight to run. Although the item handles up to 15lb weights, I will only be trolling slowly for kings and trout. I also want to make the retrieve as easy as possible.

I am considering buying on of 6 or 8LB. What size do fellow raiders run so the downrigger weight is somewhat straigh down to the bottom at idle trolling? I want to make sure the downrigger weight is picked up by the sounder very very easily. I have a dual beam sounder 83/200 khz that I run. See in freshwater it is easy cause I am not downrigging at huge depths, but at 40 or 50m downrigging, my current 4lb weight is well behind the boat.

Love your thoughts.

Squidboy

Hello Fellow Raiders,

after purchasing a Scotty 1050 downrigger i was wondering what size downrigger weight to run. Although the item handles up to 15lb weights, I will only be trolling slowly for kings and trout. I also want to make the retrieve as easy as possible.

I am considering buying on of 6 or 8LB. What size do fellow raiders run so the downrigger weight is somewhat straigh down to the bottom at idle trolling? I want to make sure the downrigger weight is picked up by the sounder very very easily. I have a dual beam sounder 83/200 khz that I run. See in freshwater it is easy cause I am not downrigging at huge depths, but at 40 or 50m downrigging, my current 4lb weight is well behind the boat.

Love your thoughts.

Squidboy

Hey squid

I spend many hours each week downrigging for kings and have pretty much settled for a 8lb bomb when using lives... In depths of 10 to 40 meters and running at about 6km per hour the bomb is no more than a few meters behind the boat.

When down rigging lures you can get away with a 6lb bomb no problems... Your 4lb bomb would be too light for the deeper waters however imo.

I have a HDS5 and the bombs come up very clearly on the screen so setting depths is very easy.

You can pick up the bombs from the USA very cheaply if you need a heavier one... bit of a rip off buying locally..

I use number 16 rubber bands to secure the line to the release clip.

Hope this helps

Trung

Edited by dhype

Guest twitchie(U-Make-Em )

Hi

you can get down rigger bombs for as little as $15.00 Plus shipping in Australia. And shipping is about $17.00 to Sydney. as an importer i can tell you that the handling and shipping from America would be about $28.00

Guest Aussie007

shipping DR bombs from the USA cost a fortune due to the postal company basing the item on weight i get mine from flea bay last one i bought and is still my current bomb is a 8lb fish cost around $35-$45 delivered i havent DR any deeper than 35-40 foot i find the smaller the weight in shallower water 4lb up to 40 foot has nailed plenty of big kings where as they are hesitant to take the bait using the 8lb weight if u have blow back as your experiencing try changing your stainless steel cable to 100lb fishing braid thats what i use also from flea bay and remember when downrigging u always downrigg with the current as the fish will be swimming into the current

There is some great feedback on this topic raiders, thanks a million. By the sounds of it, if I got 8lb and buy some braid downrigger cord I should be ok.

Do the fish style downrigger weights come up any harder then the round balls?

Also, does the fish add any further strain on the downrigger with its downwards fins?

Cheers

Squidboy

Guest Aussie007

There is some great feedback on this topic raiders, thanks a million. By the sounds of it, if I got 8lb and buy some braid downrigger cord I should be ok.

Do the fish style downrigger weights come up any harder then the round balls?

Also, does the fish add any further strain on the downrigger with its downwards fins?

Cheers

Squidboy

i have a cheap fish finder it shows the bomb in clear water or 20-30 foot the fish bomb has less blow back than the ball bombs so u can troll at a faster speed if u wish

• 4 months later...

I have just recently purchased a downrigger and was concerned that it was getting 3 or so metres behind the boat. I use a 8lb bomb with wire, I like the idea of moving to a chord as I'm sure it would be a lot less resistance and noise - which can't be a bad thing. Where would I be able to buy the chord??? Also, I have been trolling at 2 to 3 knots and was concerned it was too fast but evidently all of my experiences thus far are the norm.

Thanks guys for the help. Happy to recieve any more tips if you want to pm them to me.

Cheers

Guest Aussie007

I have just recently purchased a downrigger and was concerned that it was getting 3 or so metres behind the boat. I use a 8lb bomb with wire, I like the idea of moving to a chord as I'm sure it would be a lot less resistance and noise - which can't be a bad thing. Where would I be able to buy the chord??? Also, I have been trolling at 2 to 3 knots and was concerned it was too fast but evidently all of my experiences thus far are the norm.

Thanks guys for the help. Happy to recieve any more tips if you want to pm them to me.

Cheers

i use standard 100lb fishing braid as my downrigger line and 2-3 knots is ok u can by a trolling plate that covers the prop this will slow your boat right down to perfect speed but u need to drill holes similar to a hydrofoils

i use standard 100lb fishing braid as my downrigger line and 2-3 knots is ok u can by a trolling plate that covers the prop this will slow your boat right down to perfect speed but u need to drill holes similar to a hydrofoils

i troll at 1 knot, but with the engine just in gear it does 1.5 so i just have a cheap sea anchor i throw out the back cuts down by .5 of a knot

Dhype is on the money with 8lb and I too use rubber bands to protect my line.

If your DR can handle the heavier bombs you would be silly to go any smaller.

Nothing wrong with stainless steel wire insteda of braid, it is more durable, Bombs are too expensive to lose , Also steel creates positive ions and noise to attract sharks and kings. We all know Kings love noises. :biggrin2:

Edited by Formosan