Fishing Kayaks

Cameron

I recently read an article in the latest Fishing World magazine concerning a bloke who caught and tagged a marlin while fishing from a kayak offshore from Jervis Bay.

While that sort of stuff is a bit over the top for me, I am interested in finding out more about the kayak in question. It is called a Hobie Outback and is propelled by a pair of underwater fins operated by leg pedals, rather than by a paddle as a conventional kayak would be. There was a write up about these kayaks in the June edition of Fishing World.

Does any of our group have one of these, or know anyone who has one? It looks like a useful way of getting at the fish, particularly in those spots where it is difficult to get a boat there.

Guest Jocool

Have a look through the Buy and Sell section. I think there was one available a few weeks back, and too my knowledge it still is!

Guest Jocool

Cameron...It was Lizardboy that was selling it a while ago. He did mention in a recent post that it wasn't sold as yet. Unfortunately it was an old post and has been deleted.

May want to fire of a PM to him to ask!

Thanks for the responses

I agree that hooking marlin from a kayak sounds like a quick way to get yourself drowned! And that issue of Fishing World certainly is one of the best for some time.

At this stage I am not about to rush out and buy one, as I would probably want to sell other toys first such as a canoe and a surfski to fund it, but I am keen to get some practical info about them from people who have actually fished from one. Apart from anything else, fishing at sea from a kayak down at water level right at the moment is a job for eskimos,not 58 year old blokes who like to stay warm.

I will make an effort to watch the television show that features the kayak.

I recently read an article in the latest Fishing World magazine concerning a bloke who caught and tagged a marlin while fishing from a kayak offshore from Jervis Bay.

While that sort of stuff is a bit over the top for me, I am interested in finding out more about the kayak in question. It is called a Hobie Outback and is propelled by a pair of underwater fins operated by leg pedals, rather than by a paddle as a conventional kayak would be. There was a write up about these kayaks in the June edition of Fishing World.

Does any of our group have one of these, or know anyone who has one? It looks like a useful way of getting at the fish, particularly in those spots where it is difficult to get a boat there.

54088[/snapback]

G'day Cameron,

I had a Hobie Mirage outback for just over a year and I would definately recommend them, despite the fact that I ended up selling mine.

They are a very versatile little craft and can handle anything from light offshore work to stealth missions up small creeks. I managed everything from bream, flathead, bass and even a few rat kings from offshore.

The propulsion system is no gimmick, its very effective and gets you around at a reasonable speed with minimal effort, if you decide to pick up the pace with a bit more leg work you'll be quite surprised, they reckon it is capable of 6 miles/hour (not nautical). Having your hand free is a definate advantage, I remember jigging several small kings from the marker boys just off North head, I was fishing within a couple of metres of the boy and as soon as I hooked up, I'd peddle full pelt to get the buggers away from the buoys anchor rope/chain.

I paid $2250 about 2yrs ago from memory, but the $A exchange rate is much higher now, so I'd expect they may have come down a little being imported from the USA. I sold mine for about $1700 second hand from memory.

Oh yeah the only reason i sold it was to buy a 2 person canoe so i could take mates out and their better for river bassing/camping trips. I wish I still had it, but couldn't afford both.

Send us a pm if you need any more info

Cheers,

Gus

Thank you again for the more recent contributions.

Just a couple of further questions

Given that I am not the most stable & competent surf ski rider in this country, am I likely to be able to find it difficult to stay upright? There is 100kg of me these days and notwithstanding that I rowed competitively for a number of years, balance on the water is not one of my greatest attributes.

In the event that I was to take a swim, how difficult is it to get back on?

Also, are there mounting points for safety straps to secure gear in the event of a capsize?