45.5cm Botany whiting

alasdair

Had the day off on Saturday, which was nice as it was a good day to go for a fish. The wife thought it was a good day for me to cut the grass. Common sense prevailed and I went fishing....

Headed down to the sand flats next to St George Sailing club and pumped a few nippers. I know I could have probably cut the grass in the time I had to wait for the tide to go out but she doesn't need to know that.

Moved along a little to the point where there is a deep channel that normally holds some fish. The tide was still running out pretty quickly, brown and lots of weed. It wasn't easy to keep the bait in area I wanted. Almost moved after a couple of casts but decided to use the heavier rod and up the weight. Ended up using a 3oz star sinker to hold bottom. Still used a 6lb trace so not to spook the fish. Ended up landing this really nice fat whiting that smashed my PB by 7cm.

Really nice evening fishing and much more fun than mowing the lawn.

post-5127-087852800 1324214979_thumb.jpg post-5127-020797000 1324214879_thumb.jpg

Awsome fish, that thing's a horse! I bet it was a bugger to hold onto. Well done

Had the day off on Saturday, which was nice as it was a good day to go for a fish. The wife thought it was a good day for me to cut the grass. Common sense prevailed and I went fishing....

Headed down to the sand flats next to St George Sailing club and pumped a few nippers. I know I could have probably cut the grass in the time I had to wait for the tide to go out but she doesn't need to know that.

Moved along a little to the point where there is a deep channel that normally holds some fish. The tide was still running out pretty quickly, brown and lots of weed. It wasn't easy to keep the bait in area I wanted. Almost moved after a couple of casts but decided to use the heavier rod and up the weight. Ended up using a 3oz star sinker to hold bottom. Still used a 6lb trace so not to spook the fish. Ended up landing this really nice fat whiting that smashed my PB by 7cm.

Really nice evening fishing and much more fun than mowing the lawn.

post-5127-087852800 1324214979_thumb.jpg post-5127-020797000 1324214879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nats

Hey Alasdair,

That's an elbow slapper !

The big whiting love their nippers, that's for sure.

I just love their power and speed when they get close to being landed.

If you don't give them some line in the dying stages of the fight they can snap the 6lb trace.

And on the table, are one of the tastiest fish you can get.

When I used to pump nippers years ago, the whiting would come around and sift through the expelled pump sand looking for morsels.

The expelled sand would bring them around, but it's hard to pump bait and fish at the same time....

Just a bit of advice.

I now PAY someone to cut my lawn every fortnight - leaves me free to fish the day.

That's the prevailing common sense I use.

Well done mate.

Tony

Thanks for the replies guys.

With all this rain we had today looks like I will have to give the lawn a miss tomorrow as well. Think I'll be doing some last minute Christmas shopping rather than going fishing though.

Hi dchu.The fight was a a bit strange to start with, at first I thought it was some weed on the line but when I picked up the rod I knew it was a good fish. I think the heavier than normal sinker had something to do with this. And yes when it got in close it went nuts, some very strong runs when I was almost ready to beach it, have that drag nice and light.

alasdair

Top whiting mate. I've been continually catching 41cm models on my last few outings. I'm now planning a evening session soon to see if the bigger ones bite at night. Top fish!

Hey chewie,

The whiting are spawning at the moment and there are a lot of big mature fish around.

I've caught my fair share and now I'm staying away from my whiting grounds for a few weeks to give them a chance - but the bream are open season !

Tony

Hey chewie,

The whiting are spawning at the moment and there are a lot of big mature fish around.

I've caught my fair share and now I'm staying away from my whiting grounds for a few weeks to give them a chance - but the bream are open season !

Tony

Yeah, i agree that its easy to take too many from an area. The spot i have been fishing has only produced keeper sized fish so far with no smaller ones mixed in. I have seen a few spots with the spawning whiting stacked up in big schools of up to 30 fish but at different times during the year.

Apparently, they spawn twice a year and the larger ones are generally female as they grow faster after becoming sexually mature. Some good info on growth rates and Spawning can be found in this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_whiting