Hot Sydney marlin bite

REEF MAGIC CHARTERS

We finally got back out yesterday after a quite a few weeks away from the water its good to finally be able to put a report up

We had a good crew of 3 experienced fishos & there 2 young kids on board. The weather was great and we loaded up with some livies as well as some nice squid and headed in search of some kings. Very few marking but found a small patch of bait and down went jigs & livies only to have the leatherjackets eat everything. With that we set a course wide looking for a marlin.

A few fish had been tagged in the morning sesssion but we hadnt seen any. Right on the tide change the long corner got smashed and we got Dave in the chair as the Tiagra was screaming, we were soon down to 100m of line left and the last thing I saw was the fish about 600m straight out the back of the transom take its only jump and managed to throw the lure. After winding the lure back in for the guys I noticed a lot of pressure on the lure and as it came up we noticed that the fish has turned the lure skirts inside out half oven the lure head... havent seen that before and still trying to work it.

I reset the lures and within 5 minutes we had a big stripe of 120+ pull line on the short corner then switched to the long corner pulled more line then switched to the short rigger pulled more line then took the shotgun and still didn't manage to set a hook. Strangely the only lure it didn't go near was the long rigger and it was a lumo sprocket??

Over that hour or so a lot of boats encountered multiple fish with some raising 3 fish a once and getting pack attacked only the have no hooks stick! There were quite a few fish tagged and by the sounds of it they ranged from 70kg - 120kg stipes as well as a couple of blues. Heard of 1 yellowfin around 50kg caught as well of heaps of jellybeans around Brown. Only heard of 1 shark caught.

The water was perfect at 21.55 and a beautiful blue colour - its still trickleing to the north slowly.

Anyway hopefully you can get out there into them & have a safe and merry christmas!

Cheers

Damo

Yes we were out there to started out at browns for 2 blue eye one about 13kg and the other 2 or 3 kg and 2 red perch. Heard reports of marlin at around the hundred meter mark so left browns for a troll should have stayed ther because the yellow finn starting busting up every where and a striped marlin was caught on the tide change. But that's fishing79d1ae87-9a81-f0ed.jpg79d1ae87-9ab0-6b00.jpg

Damo,

I'm looking to get out over the christmas break.

Do you just head to browns then travel north hoping to come across a fish?

Need all the help i can get in the lead up.

Regards,

DAN

Hi Dan,

There are a lot of factors that we consider every time we head out... water currents, temperature, bait, previous days reports from other boats & just certain spots that we have regularly picked up fish over the years. If you dont have access to water charts keep an eye on the water temperature & colour when you are out there or jump on here and ask questions.

The water on Sunday was betwwen 21 - 21.5 and really blue & most fish seemed to be encountered between 100 - 120 fathoms but reports coming in said that Saturday where we were that the water was green and cold. Its amazing how it can change that much overnight!

There was a small temperature break where we were and the fish were on the warmer side. Browns is always a good area to start - listen to the radio on channel 21 and if the bite starts you will soon hear plenty of people talking.

Good luck.

Cheers Damo

We finally got back out yesterday after a quite a few weeks away from the water its good to finally be able to put a report up

We had a good crew of 3 experienced fishos & there 2 young kids on board. The weather was great and we loaded up with some livies as well as some nice squid and headed in search of some kings. Very few marking but found a small patch of bait and down went jigs & livies only to have the leatherjackets eat everything. With that we set a course wide looking for a marlin.

A few fish had been tagged in the morning sesssion but we hadnt seen any. Right on the tide change the long corner got smashed and we got Dave in the chair as the Tiagra was screaming, we were soon down to 100m of line left and the last thing I saw was the fish about 600m straight out the back of the transom take its only jump and managed to throw the lure. After winding the lure back in for the guys I noticed a lot of pressure on the lure and as it came up we noticed that the fish has turned the lure skirts inside out half oven the lure head... havent seen that before and still trying to work it.

I reset the lures and within 5 minutes we had a big stripe of 120+ pull line on the short corner then switched to the long corner pulled more line then switched to the short rigger pulled more line then took the shotgun and still didn't manage to set a hook. Strangely the only lure it didn't go near was the long rigger and it was a lumo sprocket??

Over that hour or so a lot of boats encountered multiple fish with some raising 3 fish a once and getting pack attacked only the have no hooks stick! There were quite a few fish tagged and by the sounds of it they ranged from 70kg - 120kg stipes as well as a couple of blues. Heard of 1 yellowfin around 50kg caught as well of heaps of jellybeans around Brown. Only heard of 1 shark caught.

The water was perfect at 21.55 and a beautiful blue colour - its still trickleing to the north slowly.

Anyway hopefully you can get out there into them & have a safe and merry christmas!

Cheers

Damo

Hey mate thats very good this season has started in earnest we too are seeing marlin every trip but I am a little disapointed at this weather at the moment that can make it a little uncomfortable with these large ground swells well I've had a safe and merry xmas thusfar and here we are waiting for new years I would have liked to get a bit of rock fishing in but with these ground swells and the locations I like to visit I've not even bother'd please give my my regards to cpt Mike and am looking very forward to a tipple with the captain and yourself at Port Stephens in weeks to come with the sattelite photo looking good I'd say the good water will be pushing in toward the coast and stay for a while with the direction of the current indicated but with the weeks of cloud cover it has been hard to get a sattelite photo we only have to get get out there and try and as previously spoken about I think we are in for a cracking good time,,Alls best happy new year and see you in 6 weeks at Soldiers Point...Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Emu,

Been down in Narooma over Xmas and the kings were firing in a big way. Just did 5 days up at south west rocks on my boat "Luna Sea" with a mate and caught heaps of fish.

Can't wait to get up to Port the season looks like it is really going to fire. Look forward to seeing you guys up there we will be heading up around Australia day.

Cheers

Damo