Trol-a-matic

Ghostcrab

Hi all,

I'm having trouble slow trolling (down to 1-1.5knots) with my 60hp Yammy 4 stroke EFI on a 4.5m Lazeabout.

The best I'm getting is 4knots at 700rpm.

I'm looking to slow troll Flatfish, flies and Crawdads on the lakes and I need the slower speeds.

I'm aware of electric motors and trolling a Drouge, but I'm interested in any info or user comments on the Trol-A-matic.

I've also been advised I can obtain these slower speeds by buying a different prop!

I'm currently using the prop as supplied with the motor.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Ghostcrab

I can get down to just on one knot with a drogue,

another option is troll in reverse, doesnt work well in a chop, but does work well in light breezes where one of the problems is the wind blowing the bow around.

I am in a 5.5 centre console with a Mariner 125

but the new electric has solved most of those problems, I troll downwind or very slow using the electric and upwind using the main motor, get about 2 to 2.5 kts upwind into 10 kts of wind which is fine for tassies and rapalas and as slow as I like downwind or in calm conditions for flatfish, deep divers, fenders and mudeyes etc

regards POGO

Guest Jocool

May be worth getting in touch with member Wakd (Ben). He works at Yabbie Marine, a site sponsor. Anything to do with boats shouldn't be a problem for them! :thumbup:

I have seen the Troll-A-Matics you speak of. They seem to be what you need in theory, although I have never used them or seen them used.

Ghostcrab, I've read in a fishing magazine that u can slow down ur boat by:

grab a bucket, any bucket. Tie a rope onto the handle and then tie to your boat somewhere. Chuck it out the back and u have an instant increase in resistance :1clap:

Matt

Many thanks, pogo,Jocool,Matrix,patl and gabzirulz (thanks for the welcome).

Your advice re this matter is much appreciated. A fellow member advised me if I wanted an answer to this question, all I needed to do was post it on Fishraider. He wasn't kidding!!

It appears there are a number of options available to get my speed down. Maybe I should start with a Drouge and work up from that, if required.

Has anybody tried the engine mounted Mincota? I'm getting a bit too old and clumbsy to climb onto the bow everytime I want to use the electric!

If I go electric, this would be the way I would need to go, but I've never seen one on the water.

Regards

Ghostcrab

I have seen the engine mount minn kota but the problem I see is the one I mentioned earlier. when your trolling in the wind you spend most of your time struggling to keep the boat running in a straight line as the wind keeps blowing the bow off course and because your travelling at such slow speed you have no steerage, only thrust to work with.

The bow mounts work so well trolling because they are pulling the boat along behind the motor, not pushing the boat in front of the motor.

Thanks for that pogo. Good point! They're the sorts of problems one usually finds out after buying something without checking it out.

I like your Drouge idea for starters. I'll check that asap. From what you've indicated it should meet my needs totally.

Thanks

Ghostcrab

Guest hottuna

i like the idea behind the trollo matic. My allison does about 2knots slowtrolling, when its windy and im going with it, it acts as a sail and therefore too fast, i then click it outta gear. pasin in the arse at times. Those trolla matics seem the perfect answer, i think permatrim make it?

dan

Hi May Be NOT, Yeah, I agree, the concept sounds good! As the trol-a-matic automatically lifts up when you increase your speed, I'd like to know at what reduced speed it drops back down to slow you down, and can you stop it from dropping down if you don't need to use it?

The price seems to be around $150, and is available thru Freshwater Fisherman Magazine and Solas. Check the site below for more info or contact the mag.

http://www.solas.com.au/troll.asp

Regards

Ghostcrab