Fitting big Penn reel on Daiwa rod

GABBA

I just bought myself a 950ssm spinfisher and I want to fit it on an old Daiwa rod. When trying to fit it the back of the reel foot slips nicely into the back bracket but the front of the reel foot seems too big to fit in the front bracket, I was able to bend the front bracket up a touch and managed to get it in, and it is sitting nice and firm in there. That being said it is only a few mil in there and I am paranoid it is going to come out.

I don't really want to grind/file the reel foot down. What are my options?

Thanks

Ps: I am new to all this so I may have to take the rod/reel to a shop (western Sydney) to get it looked at, or to have any advices carried out.

There's really only one option... get a new rod. Unfortunately grinding down the reel foot is an absolute no no. But you also can't go fishing with the reel not properly seated. The fist time it gets put under pressure something is liable to break.

If you were able to bend the front 'bracket' then I'm assuming that it's metal which in turn means that it's likely to be very very old. Time to upgrade I think... the Penn is a great reel and you'd be able to pick up a decent rod to suit it for under $100 if you really wanted just a cheapie. It would be a shame not to get the best out of that reel.

Cheers, Slinky