1-2kg Bait fishing rod

spotterone

Hi all,

I'm on the lookout for a good quality 1-2kg rod that I can use on the boat primarily for bait fishing, with the occasional lure flick. I've got plenty of 2-4kg rods, but I'm struggling with something that little bit lighter, yet maintains good feel and allows you to put pressure on a fish when you need it. My last rod in this class was a Daiwa Firewolf IM6 that I absolutely loved, but unfortunately it's now somewhere on the bottom of the harbour.

Any ideas where I might find something that fits the bill, and any recommendations?

Thanks for the replies.

I tend to look after my gear pretty well. My Firewolf was 20 years old before it disappeared. I don't mind spending a bit more to get the good gear. I'd happily spend $200 for the "right" rod and be 100% satisfied than spend $100 and be 90% satisfied.

I did have a look at a Pflueger something or other, but I didn't pay that much attention. I didn't like how much it bent through the foregrip so I put it back down.

By rights I should just be looking at a tough fibreglass rod that I don't have to worry about bumping against the side of the boat, but I simply can't help myself!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses.

I couldn't decide, so I bought myself a Plueger Trion 1-3kg 7' and a Berkley Dropshot IM6 6'6". I've had them both out and I like them both for different purposes. I find that the Plueger is just a tiny bit too long for bait fishing, but is awesome for flicking blades onto sand flats. That extra bit of length gives me just a bit more distance, but its still sensitive enough to feel every shake of the lure. I know straight away when the lure is fouled or hooked up on itself.

The Berkley is fantastic for bait fishing, even when doing a slow retrieve for sand whiting over a flat. I can feel every nibble through the rod, and it's the perfect length on the boat. Matched up with my new Shimano Baitrunner 2500 and 2kg mono, it's brilliant!

I had a look at the raider rods, but was put off by the Shimano branded guides. I do my own rod repairs, so it was important to have a good quality fuji guide on it that I can replace like for like if I ever need to. Those single footers tend to cop it over time and will eventually require replacing. Buying Fuji guides is as easy as a trip to my local tackle store.

Now all I have to do is get back out on the water!