Glass Boats

kikila

I recently read an article that the making of fiberglass could be a thing of the past because fiberglass cannot be recycled and if you burn them it just causes toxic smoke and some countries in Europe have already banned the manufacturing fiberglass boats. I don’t know if they also ban the manufacturing of other fiberglass products and there was a move toward the use of plastics instead of glass because plastic is seen as more environmentally friendly :1yikes: . I found this surprising as I thought that plastic was very environmentally unfriendly.

Guest Jocool

This same debate was raised a few months ago by a Juice place down at Bondi. Council wanted to force them to use recycled paper cups, whilst they were persisting with Polystyrene cups. Sounds odd...but before you bash them for it, their logic was pretty valid! :1prop:

They figured that seeing that a lot of customers were throwing the cups on the ground rather than in bins, it was safer to use the poly cups as they WOULDN'T break down readily and be introduced into the environment. On the other hand, a paper cup has inks, bleaches, glues and various other nasties that DO break down, BUT would be a lot more hazzardous for the environment once introduced!

Made sense to me when I heard it!

By the way...Looks like Wakd at Yabbie Marine would be happy if they banned 'Glass boats! :1prop::1prop:

:074: Joe!!! We sell plenty of second hand glass boats.

Its true though - aluminium and polyethylene can be recycled, fibreglass can't...and just to dispel a rumour going around, Polycraft are made from virgin polyethylene, not recycled poly!

Guest Jocool
and just to dispel a rumour going around, Polycraft are made from virgin polyethylene, not recycled poly!

54475[/snapback]

DAMN...And now what am I going to do with all the council bins I have been pinching???? :1prop: I WAS going to trade them in on a Poly! :tease: